Some questions about Replacing Axle bearings and Chain/sprocket

Kgries

Apr 9, 2014
Aberdeen Township, New Jersey
So one of my many tasks is to replace the axle bearings.

God damn what a challenge this is from popping some blood vessels on the castle nuts, the lock and torque nut to this...

I dont know what to do now

Is there a metal lip on this side?

I cant get the bearings/seals out on either side with a hammer

heres the other side

Neither will pry out, it makes no sense...but by looking at this good thing im replacing these.

How the hell do i get all this stuff out?!?!

also i figured i mine aswell replace the sprockets and chain, give myself a little better power range on the tight trails i do. So heres the question, i have 19 inch tires and i think 13/40 sprockets. What should i go to for a little more torque without loosing a tonnn of top end speed?

I was thinking about going with this chain and sprocket set off ebay for a little better look too. Bad idea?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-2005-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fc048664&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
A blind bearing puller would work nice to get them out. Use a little heat, always makes then pull out a bit easier.

I got a D.I.D. Chain, with a JT sprocket set from motosports for a awesome price. 520 gold non o-ring. Think it was like 109.00.

Fast hand said it best. a bearing puller will do you well. Check at an autoparts store to see if you can rent one.

Those oil seals should pop out. I've had luck getting the seals off with a flat blade screw driver.

The bearings pop for me with a long piece of pipe I have that I tap the opposite side bearing out moving all around little bit of race I can hit.

Get those seals off and soak those bearings with some blaster to help loosen them up. A heat gun on the bearing carrier will expand it slightly also, might help assist you in poping them out.

Good Luck!

so pretty much do anything i can do get the whole interior of that carrier out? i was prying at the chain side and the outer lip which i though was rubber was bending like metal! i got all confused from that

so pretty much do anything i can do get the whole interior of that carrier out? i was prying at the chain side and the outer lip which i though was rubber was bending like metal! i got all confused from that
I marked the parts for you. The oil seal should pop off if you use a flat blade screwdriver and pry out. do both sides.

After that you should see the bearing. Thats when you should soak them, get a bearing puller.
20140426_210820.jpg

Reactions: bummer981
I got my puller from harbor freight. They also sell a grease seal puller/remover tool. It was like 5-6 dollars and works awesome. It has a orange handle.

O ring chain robs power.

A well looked after non O ring chain will last well too.

I run non o-ring chains also. No complaints here.

When buying one, check the tensile strengh, The cheap ebay Chinese chains might look cool, but could leave you stranded in a hurry, busted cases from breaking..etc..etc..

I got my puller from harbor freight. They also sell a grease seal puller/remover tool. It was like 5-6 dollars and works awesome. It has a orange handle.

gotcha, ill grab one of those tomorrow

I run non o-ring chains also. No complaints here.

When buying one, check the tensile strengh, The cheap ebay Chinese chains might look cool, but could leave you stranded in a hurry, busted cases from breaking..etc..etc..

maybe i should get a colored chain from a more reputable chain dealer, any suggestions?

Owing to the O rings more friction is created making the chain stiffer. It is not much but some power is lost.

hmm alright that makes sense, so pretty much if i just make sure my non o ring chain is greased ill be all good

i d.i.d gold chains and renthal sprockets on my bike. i probably will do the same for my blaster