shifter shaft sticky

biggercb

Jun 16, 2011
I bought a blaster with the case broken around the shifter. Had it welded up and the alignment of the shift shaft is slightly off...there is a small amount of resistance when trying to shift it on the bench.

I haven't added any oil to the transmission yet, but when I shift it either up or down, the springs to return the shifter to its center position aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance.

Has anyone on here encountered this? If I take the shaft back out and run a reamer through the cases, will it leak?

Any other solutions or ideas? Do you think adding fluid and trying to ride it to see if it would loosen up be alright?

I bought a blaster with the case broken around the shifter. Had it welded up and the alignment of the shift shaft is slightly off...there is a small amount of resistance when trying to shift it on the bench.

I haven't added any oil to the transmission yet, but when I shift it either up or down, the springs to return the shifter to its center position aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance.

Has anyone on here encountered this? If I take the shaft back out and run a reamer through the cases, will it leak?

Any other solutions or ideas? Do you think adding fluid and trying to ride it to see if it would loosen up be alright?

Well, I'm not that familiar with your problem, but there shouldn't be any resistance on that shift shaft. On the outside, there is going to be an oil seal on the shifter side. If you are having resistance out there, you will have a hard time keeping the oil from leaking out the seal, and you are most likely warping the shift shaft from a straight position. I replaced my shift shaft a couple months ago, and once I got my bent one out, the new one slid right thru, no problems. I would try to rework that puppy until it's perfect.

I know there shouldn't be any resistance, and I don't think that the oil seal will leak. Its more of an alignment problem through the cases.

Have you checked your shaft for straight? Maybe try polishing pivot points with red crocus cloth

Red crocus cloth, now there's a suggestion you don't see every day. But yes, Larry has two good points, it might not be your fix job, it might be the shift shaft.

I might try polishing the shaft...I also have a second shaft lying around, I might try that one tonight and see if it fits better.