Shift lever/shifting problems

stallion81

Jul 18, 2010
Rockford,IL
Hello all, newbie here. Bought my 1st ATV ever, 1997 Blaster. Finally took it to some land where I could put a good run on it after tinkering with it.

Got a Clymers, replaced clutch cable(broke when tinkering, but was full out) and clutch plates(just to do it).

Parts missing on the bike as of the good run. 1) the "spring" for the odd sized clutch plate 2) the spring for the clutch push lever 3) the shift shaft seal,circlip, and spring on the shift lever(this lever is welded to the shaft).
I didnt know anything but the clutch spring(ring) was missing before the "good run", as I'm just starting to learn about this machine. Was told by a shop where the crankcase gasket was purchased, that this would not be a big deal.

Symptoms of the bikes shifting. 1) Shift lever gets stuck(ie gears 3 and 4 I have to tap it back down in order to shift up) . I can shift through all 6 gears, but I do have to tap the lever back down occasionally. Not a problem, but not right =).

2) I'm having more problems downshifting. Now truthfully it was mostly done under clutch(and not letting clutch out/braking), as I was going to a 180 degree turn, its 3rd or 4th down to 2 or 1. But in the end, I'm tapping down and its not downshifting.

3) Shift lever is just not acting right. Neutral is hard to find. Ive rode a Harley for 15+ years, and thats my exp. Hopefully its shift lever? Is it in the case, or on clutch side(didnt pull whole basket)? BTW the basket is "stepped" pretty bad also(need replace, but prolly not the underlying problem).

You can get a new shift lever from yamaha for 30 some odd dollars.

Honestly, Id address all your issues at once. You have to pull that clutch case apart to get to everything. Which means you have to drain your fluid, remove the case, pull off the kickstarter, etc.

Get yourself a new clutch kit, and find someone with a used clutch basket and boss (if yours arent good that is), put in a new shifter shaft, and see if that helps.

Thanks guys. Well I'm assuming I can change the shift shaft without breaking the case? I didnt look that hard, when doing the clutch plates(newbie), but I'm guessing all that stuff comes in behind the basket? With the Clymers, I'm confident, but need to do it as I go, and didnt go that far.

The crankcase is easy as pie, and I already replaced all bolts, but if I need to break the case, I'd rather ride it out for the year, and do it in winter(complete rebuild).

This machine wont be rode hard at all (yet =) ), just tooling around, but I like my stuff right.

Am I correct in saying the clutch shift lever and springs can be done thru the case? It goes to the other side(behind basket)?If so, I can break it down and see what I need?

Unless the problem is a shift fork, shift drum, or engagement dog problem it can be solved under the clutch side cover with the engine still in the quad. From the sound of things, the shift star is hanging somehow. The bolt holding the spring detent could be loosening up letting it bind. Could be any number of things in there.

Just follow the manual, pull the goodies off and you'll be fine.

Well I just got some parts coming. New shift shaft,circlip,spring and gasket. New shifter(mine is welded). Used clutch actuating lever,spring ,washer and tranny gears(forks,drum, gears and shafts). Only wanting the spring and washer outta the used parts, but if its the forks, or tranny, have some spares to choose from =).
Put another 6hrs or so on it since, learning to ride it =). Still gotta "tap" down on the shift peg occasionally, but goes thru the gears up. Been trying to downshift more under power, and its responding better then clutching + braking and going from 4or5 to 2.
Got about $80 in parts coming, let you know if I need help installing, but I think I'm good to go. BTW owning your first ATV ever at 36(now 37, and a BLASTER) $500, teaching your nephew to ride his 1st clutch = PRICELESS =). Might have to let him take it for a few years, until my boy is ready =).

Nice to hear you're enjoying your blaster. Hopefully you won't have to split the cases, but if you do it's not that hard, just have a manual handy.

Reactions: Drifz1
i just replaced all that same stuff it is really easy and not too expensive. just note that the shift shaft won't come with a new spring. (the one on the inside of the clutch cover where it contacts the shift star) I had to use my old one bc I didn't know it wouldn't come with it.

I got the circlip and spring coming new, for the shift shaft. I do have a Clymers already. I spaced on the boss ring for the odd sized clutch ring, but dont think that makes too much difference, just if it sits too long(sticking)?

BUT anyway, can I remove the clutch basket without a special tool, or do I need one? I'll eventually need a flywheel removal tool, so let me know if there arent any tricks, or extra tools I might need if I decide to break the cases this winter.

Yes riding the Blaster is a ton of fun =).

Thanks peeps.

the clutch comes off easy. you will def need that flywheel puller. If you have an air impact wrench you dont' have to have the flywheel holder tool. I have a 18v dewalt impact and that wouldn't take off some of the stuborn nuts I had to break out the air. I have used a piece of copper wire to jam between the drive gears but that was a last resort, I left my compressor on the job that day. for the cases you will want to have a case splitter tool. some people say you can use pullers from auto parts stores with long replacement bolts. you should probably pick up a crank puller/installer tool for when you stroke that bad boy. I had never done it before when I bought all my tools and everything went smoothly. with a manual, the right tools, and lots of patience you will be fine. oh yeah. NEVER SHORTCUT ANYTHING. If you think something might need to be replaced, replace it. if you can't afford it just wait until you can. I have learned this lesson the very hard and very expensive way. oh yeah build yourself a leakdown tester, if you haven't yet. there is a diy with exact instructions.

Excellent, well if I can get the basket off, that gets me thru tinkering for the rest of the riding season. I'm guessing, I will redo the whole engine this winter? But if she shifts and rolls, I may wait? Got the nephew to teach, so dont wanna change too much stuff =). I can see why you folks have your own forum now. My free time is now splitting tween my HD and my Blaster. 2 Diff animals, but hey I'll ride it out =). Peace.

OK folks, found the likely problem, but messed something up in the process.

The small spring(set spring) on the shift shaft was warn badly.

Problem; When I was pulling out the shift shaft, The actual other shaft, that the return spring slides over, started pulling out also. Probably slid out 2" before I realized and pushed back in.

Now I can shift(the star) a few times, but all is empty as in neutral. The bike now wont go into gear.

Any ideas, I never messed with the stopper lever or spring, or the star. Or was that other shaft pulling out a bad thing? Hoping it is the stopper lever and spring, and I can just reset it? I do have a used spare from the purchase of the clutch actuating lever(all used parts)

Thanks for your time.

Oh boy, well I just reread Clymers, the shaft that pulled out was the shift fork shaft. I was thinking drum shaft, but knew it couldn't be, as the star is on the end of the drum. Smells like trouble????

That's the shaft the forks ride on.The problem is it suppose to have a c clip inside to stop it from doing that.If I am understanding you right

You are correct =). BUT the clip is MIA, who knows what else is on this bike ?

But anyway, after fudging with the shafts(all 3) and the gears, I've got a now shifting freely Blaster.

HOWEVER, along the way I broke a spring bolt(clutch plate), and I have managed to get the kickstart gear in wrong(drops to the floor after kicking). I imagine the kickstart gear spring is in wrong(clymers is vague), and I now need a new clutch boss =(. BUT hell it shifts like a new bike =).

Enlighten me on the kickstart gear install(got it right before). Any damage expected with 4 verses 5 spring/bolts for a Sunday ride(clutch pressure plate)?

Fixed 1 problem, and created some more LOL. BTW the headlight wont work now also ????????? Interesting machines, I will habve them downpat by spring LOL

Sounds Like Your Shaft to your shift drum is shearing off. Just Had this happen to me. In The Proses of spliting The Cases. Think Now I Have A Bent Shift Fork

Hello all, newbie here. Bought my 1st ATV ever, 1997 Blaster. Finally took it to some land where I could put a good run on it after tinkering with it.

Got a Clymers, replaced clutch cable(broke when tinkering, but was full out) and clutch plates(just to do it).

Parts missing on the bike as of the good run. 1) the "spring" for the odd sized clutch plate 2) the spring for the clutch push lever 3) the shift shaft seal,circlip, and spring on the shift lever(this lever is welded to the shaft).
I didnt know anything but the clutch spring(ring) was missing before the "good run", as I'm just starting to learn about this machine. Was told by a shop where the crankcase gasket was purchased, that this would not be a big deal.

Symptoms of the bikes shifting. 1) Shift lever gets stuck(ie gears 3 and 4 I have to tap it back down in order to shift up) . I can shift through all 6 gears, but I do have to tap the lever back down occasionally. Not a problem, but not right =).

2) I'm having more problems downshifting. Now truthfully it was mostly done under clutch(and not letting clutch out/braking), as I was going to a 180 degree turn, its 3rd or 4th down to 2 or 1. But in the end, I'm tapping down and its not downshifting.

3) Shift lever is just not acting right. Neutral is hard to find. Ive rode a Harley for 15+ years, and thats my exp. Hopefully its shift lever? Is it in the case, or on clutch side(didnt pull whole basket)? BTW the basket is "stepped" pretty bad also(need replace, but prolly not the underlying problem).

I found this piece in the bottom of my case and I can’t shift anymore. Dose anyone know what this is and what I need to buy to fix it.

Attachments

• 9DA8CC96-9CBD-42EB-AF0A-750A61C02635.jpeg
    9DA8CC96-9CBD-42EB-AF0A-750A61C02635.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 300
  • ABA30E88-1B7E-4006-B104-1E728CF2B711.jpeg
    ABA30E88-1B7E-4006-B104-1E728CF2B711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 956
  • C3EFC694-215E-4878-BA3F-6F5EB21E5A70.jpeg
    C3EFC694-215E-4878-BA3F-6F5EB21E5A70.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,125
  • 10366450-DD7E-4F41-92A6-5A73BBBE4406.jpeg
    10366450-DD7E-4F41-92A6-5A73BBBE4406.jpeg