Sapient's Project

here we go again, lucky im just copy and pastin this............... it took me 4 or 5 times to get this right, very frustrating, do all this with the cable disconnected at the hand lever so it doesnt effect the internal adjustment, open her up, again!!!, loosen the locknut and screw, back it out a little, (the adjustment shaft in the middle of the clutch basket) then where the cable connects to the motor lever,theres a notch that lines up, look on the engine lever for the little point and a mark on the case, line these up, make sure it doesnt move while adjusting, a freind would be good here, then move to the other side, tighten the rod in with a small straight screwdriver till you feel it touch, then i think i read somewhere to back it off 1/2 a turn,then tighten the locknut, <<<<definately use locktite here, mine almost came loose, and thats disaster, then reconnect the cable to the hand lever, and adjust your slack i also did this with the wheels off the ground, so i could spin them with the clutch lever pulled in,to see if the wheels spun free, or if there was engine lag as i released it, before i put it all back together

if this doesnt work its also possible you have a clutch rod ball seized or missing

Thanks for all yall's help, you guys are awesome, I'm going to find a clutch cable and try everything you recommended as soon as I can! I'll get back with you and let you know how it works out.

EDIT:

Well everyone around here has to order the clutch cable, so that will have to wait. For everyone that PM'd me about parts, im going to get my paypal set up tonight and ill get yall the money for the parts (thank you guys!)

Currently, I've been riding it, getting a feel for the motor... for some reason it doesn't feel like the powerband is as strong as it should be, I took a video of me riding it around the block... I know its a sh*tty video, it was from jailbroken video app on my iphone, but at least the audio is good, tell me if this is how it should sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha cool video... Ya i rode around for a while with no clutch or brakes..haha couldnt wait! You opened the clutch up yet? Mine did similar to your problem after i put a new cable on it. What happened is the push rod welded to the ball and somehow lost all pull. (PM me if i lost you on that, its worth checking if you got it opened up, a service manual is extremely helpful on rebuild). I bought a whole barnett clutch set up on e bay i think it was $60 (easiet clutch install i ever did). I dont know if its "the best". But i like it and got about 100 hours on it now. Wasnt that your link with the nasty looking FMF fatty? Anyways that baby will polish up believe it or not. It looked like mine but i put some mothers steel wool and about ten hours in it and it looks new!!!!!

The clutch cable just came in today, so i'll be using everyone's advise on tackling that issue tonight.

After reading up on the forum, I might have figured out a solution to why my bike kind of bogs out before it hits the power band in first through about third gear... I had a 152 jet in my carb.

So I went to yamaha and after buying the clutch cable and a k&n air filter, they gave me a 155 jet, so i'll be testing that out tonight also.

And I'll have to pick up some steel wool to clean up that pipe like you said matt, I haven't really been worried about making my bike pretty till I get enough cash and get it running like a champ first :)

Last edited:
I'll pull it and take a pic of it when i get home.

UPDATE:

Well I can tell that the bigger jet does run alot better, I wanna try something bigger than a 155 now...

UPDATE 2:

Ordered a few parts from bikebandit to get my clutch cable installed, and should have brakes and pegs coming in soon...

I'll be glad to get rid of my home made ones, lmao

At least they match my bike! lol

IMG_0764.JPG

Last edited:
No, I think I changed my mind. I'm going to paint the frame a dark chevy grey, keep it all black plastics, and yellow accessories (Shock covers, grips, maybe paint the pegs and a few small parts)

I got a good friend that does paint and body so he can professionally paint it for me...

Just waiting to get everything else working and running good before I start tearing it down for paint :)

Well it's been a while since I've updated yall on the bike, I can't really even remember all i've done to it since, but here's some pics.

I think I got my jetting down, right now I'm running 145, 40.

I plan on painting the front wheels black as well as the pipe. At least it all matches now. I re-fabbed the seat with some suede sh*t my friend had for his truck.
Got new handlebars, everything is bolted on... lol

All i really need is new shock covers (black), and rear fenders (black).

And im still waiting on the spindles, shocks, and grab bar from MXmaineiac67...

BEFORE:

2860-img-0748.jpg

2939-img-0784.jpg

AFTER:

2945-img-0904.jpg

2944-img-0903.jpg

2943-img-0902.jpg

2942-img-0901.jpg

2941-img-0900.jpg

2940-img-0899.jpg