Replaced clutch side crank seal. Still smoking like crazy. Now what?

bigbuilder

Apr 6, 2021
Hi Everyone,.

I posted back here a little while ago and received some much appreciated help.

To recap. My sons 2004 blaster needed a clutch. So I put in a barnett clutch pack with the specified type fluid instead of the gear saver I have always used.

Clutch worked great. But it smoked like crazy and wasnt very snappy. Whiteish smelly smoke.

So I ordered a clutch side crank seal. Replaced that. Fired it up and its still smoking like crazy.

I didnt do the stator side yet as I wanted to see if the clutch side replacement fixed the smoking problem.

Now what do I do?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Just a note. The old crank seal did not look bad. No visible damge or anything. Do they go in only one way? I put it in the same way the old one was.

I keep just adding to my post...lol. So I ordered another crank seal and working on getting a new collar as well. Just wondering if you seal the collar even if its a new one?

The collar should have no wear marks on it, if it does it will damage a new seal in a heart beat, do you still have oil injection, any aftermarket parts or mods?

Hi, Thank yoiu very much for the reply. We have owned for about 4 years. I havent done any modifications ourselves. Replaced the brakes. Oil injection was removed when we got it. It has an FMF pipe system. It has always run well.

I ordered another crank seal and trying to get a new collar now. The collar looks very nice. Just shiny where it it rides in the seal.

Just to be sure can some describe which way the new crank seal goes in? One side has a very small groove in it and the other side has a slighty wider and deeper groove.

I am going to try again with another new seal, a new collar and re doing the sealer on the collar.

Hi Again, When I am tapping the new seal in.....how do I determine that it is at the correct depth? Is it perfectly flush with the case?

Ok. Great thank you. Can you confirm which side of the seal goes toward the crank bearing? I want to?? make sure I am putting the new one in correctly.

Also how do I determine if the collar is good to put back in? Its a little shiny where the seal was riding but I cant feel any ridges.....the inside looks good. No one has one in stock and will take a week or more for a new one.

Ok. Great thank you. Can you confirm which side of the seal goes toward the crank bearing? I want to?? make sure I am putting the new one in correctly.

Also how do I determine if the collar is good to put back in? Its a little shiny where the seal was riding but I cant feel any ridges.....the inside looks good. No one has one in stock and will take a week or more for a new one.

I look at the seal and put the larger lip facing out , seems to seal against the collar the best - do believe they can be installed either way but have not fully confirmed that by testing, as long as the collar is smooth to the feel, can use a scotch brite pad - green - and give it a good wipe down to debur it.

Hi Bruce,

Excuse my ignorance. I am going to look at the old seal to see what you mean about the larger lip facing out. I might try taking some pictures to post to be sure. Yes I cannot feel anything on the collar in terms of gooves or damage. Just that it is shiny where it spins in the seal. I am going to try to try putting some sealer on the crank and collar inside this time too.

Any seal when installed properly the markings are facing you.
Did you seal the collar and key to the crank shaft ?
Did you do a leak down test after ?

Hi, So I re installed another crank seal again. And I sealed the collar and key again as well. Put it all together. Still smokes like crazy. I though maybe it was left over in the crank so i had the boy ride it for about 15 minutes. Kept smoking. After we drained the tansmission and there was only 300 ml in it. Down from 650. Guessing there is no way the new crank seal leaks that bad. So thinking it must be the cases leaking. We pulled the motor now and have it broke down including the stator side. Soooo... dont be mad....but can I split the case without taking apart the whole clutch side? It looks like I can but maybe I am missing something? I dont have a case splitter and hoping it will come apart. I appreciate any and all help. I have the three bond 1184 sealant for the cases and a full seal kit. Thank you very much

Hi, Wondering if someone can chime in to help us? I have replaced the clutch side seals, clutch and everything. Its all sealed up nice. I have the stator side apart and the case are slightly split. Just with one tap of rubber mallet. But I want to confirm i can take split the cases completely only from the stator side to reseal the cases as its burning trans fluid. Just want to know if I am missing something that needs to be taken off on the clutch side to break in half and reseal and do a stator side crank seal.