Crank Case Seal Replacement / Other / Suggestions?

lucknuts

Apr 27, 2019
Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and I apologize cause I'm also new to working on small engines. I have a 2004 Yamaha Blaster 200 or aka YFS200 I believe. I bought it used, ran it all year last year and for a couple months so far this year. Never had any issues, ran like a charm.

I recently road the living crap out of it through fields and marsh and through wet mud and just went a-wall with it. Was a blast. Cleaned it all up the next day and warmed it up and it was giving off white smoke and when riding it and giving it the throttle it just sputtered and acted like it was drowned out and didn't want to go. I know i need to do some maintenance on it so I'm going through it all right now. As much as possible.

Right now I got the pipe off, the carb out to be cleaned, all fluid is ou t of it, I took the top off and the top of the piston is black, the spark plug is black. Opened the stator side and replaced the seal, overall inside that was pretty clean. Ran into a bunch of issues from previous owners with the screws being all jacked up, they were Phillips head, got them out though and need to find replacement screws. (Any ideas where to get them besides hardware store? Is there pre-packs? Seen some on amazon although no engine kits available.)

So now I'm tearing apart the clutch side or crank side seal and I got the dumbest question I feel like, might be one of those days. How do I get the brake pedal out of the way in order to get the case off? (see picture) I just don't want to take off more than needed. Is there a way to let it loose to hang down? I'm assuming I also need to take the kickstart pedal off too.

Been searching or video's so I'm only guessing everyone already has knowledge on how to do it since most videos jump right into showing the gears.

Also, while putting in the stator side seal, the top right side of it went a tad bit in more than the rest, will this be an issue with being to close to the bearings? Should I pull it out and put a new one in again? I can't get it out it's in there pretty good. Planning on doing, compression and leak down test once everything's back together.

Should I replace reeds also? Any suggestions on what else should be done would be great!

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited:
kickstart and brake side peg need to come off to get clutch cover off

scroll down, allen head SS bolts for both covers are down the page a bit ....... http://kenoconnorracing.com/ns/oem_blaster_parts

replacing unknown condition reeds is never a bad thing

as for the seal ? I'd probably try to pull it out a little, or replace ? could see if it passes leakdown and call it good, I doubt it will hurt anything ?

Reactions: lucknuts

scroll down, allen head SS bolts for both covers are down the page a bit ....... http://kenoconnorracing.com/ns/oem_blaster_parts

as for the seal ? I'd probably try to pull it out a little, or replace ? could see if it passes leakdown and call it good, I doubt it will hurt anything ?

Awesome. Thanks for the fast response appreciate it. After signing up and looking around a bit more I found the manuals and a lot of my questions are in there. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Awk08

Hey awk,

I paid for the bolts on 4/27 through the ken O’Conner website and haven’t received any response from them at all regarding it. Sent an email also and haven’t heard back yet, is that normal? Will they arrive?

Thanks!

@OConnor Racing

I tagged Ken in this thread, and may also talk to him sometime this weekend, but with us only knowing you as Lucknuts, I doubt he'll be able to track your order without your full name, maybe message him on here with that info and I'll have him jump on and have a look

Reactions: lucknuts
@OConnor Racing

I tagged Ken in this thread, and may also talk to him sometime this weekend, but with us only knowing you as Lucknuts, I doubt he'll be able to track your order without your full name, maybe message him on here with that info and I'll have him jump on and have a look

Had a moment to make a call to his cell and I was able to get a hold of him. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Awk08
I got the bolts that I ran out of today. Your order has been shipped.

Got the email this morning, really appreciate it! Getting the rest of my parts end of this week, can't wait to get it locked up and get back to riding. Thank you!