Rebuild help please

mudking

I am looking at parts to order.

BUT, I dont understand a few things. like, my jug needs to be honed. I was thinking of doing it myself. But, how will I know what size piston to get? should I just take it to a machine shop?

Second. I think I should replace the crank. It has some heat stress marks on it. I saw some stroker crankshafts/rod kits. 3mm was what I was looking at. What will that accomplish? on a basically stock bike should I do that or no? Lets say I go .20 over, and 3mm stroker. is that a combination I should consider?

What else should I replace while I am in there?

this is my first rebuild attempt. please go easy on me... ;)

Also, I think I need to replace my clutches. my 3-4th gear seemed to be slipping.

thanks in advance.

Well... 1st off on the honing.. If you have the stock piston and the stock bore then you will want to make sure the side clearances are not too out of wack... A machine shop will tell you that... If they are too out of wack then you will need a bore job.. Then you will need to buy a new piston take it to the machine shop, and they will match the bore to your new piston. .

I will leave the stroker crank explanation to someone who can explain it better than I can.

Now clutches are pretty easy.. There are DIY all over the place... Make sure you replace the springs and plates when you replace the fibers.

It your going to the extent of replacing the crank with a stroker, you need to get a builder to port your cylinder. Good chances are that you will need a bore, replace the crank bearings, and crank seals while your in there. That will basically give you a new motor.

Call a builder and talk to them about your options. Try a site sponsor or one of the two in my sigs, bith of these guys are good guys, also I believe that Kevin, Herr Jugs, is a member here too. He is a great builder from what I hear at the BHQ. His name here is kevsws6, i think this is him.

I am a ken OConnor fan! his customer sevice is the best. it is strang to do a buisness transaction and feel like they actually care about you personally. this is how you feel when you work with ken. I don't know what your financial situation is but i will break it down how much it should cost for each thing. 3 mil stroker 150-180. get your jug ported to match the longer stroke of that crank around 200-400 depending on what kind of port you do. bore job shoud be 60-80 weisco piston 100-125. if the crank is good i would just leave it. heat discoloration is ok as long as there is absolutely NO up and down play in the bottom end rod bearing. if you have someone else do all the mechanic work it can get pretty expensive. I do all the mechanic work myself and leave the machine work to the pros. hope this helps. i would not recomend a 3 mil stroker without the port job.

I am a ken OConnor fan! his customer sevice is the best. it is strang to do a buisness transaction and feel like they actually care about you personally. this is how you feel when you work with ken. I don't know what your financial situation is but i will break it down how much it should cost for each thing. 3 mil stroker 150-180. get your jug ported to match the longer stroke of that crank around 200-400 depending on what kind of port you do. bore job shoud be 60-80 weisco piston 100-125. if the crank is good i would just leave it. heat discoloration is ok as long as there is absolutely NO up and down play in the bottom end rod bearing. if you have someone else do all the mechanic work it can get pretty expensive. I do all the mechanic work myself and leave the machine work to the pros. hope this helps. i would not recomend a 3 mil stroker without the port job.

thank you, and thank you to everyone who posted.

I will check the "slop" up and down in the crank tomorrow when I get home from my business trip. If its good then I guess I will just build the top end, and get a .20 over piston kit, and take it to the machine shop... I dont care for it to be any faster than what it is. just want it to run good, and keep reliability. its been a great bike since 93. first rebuild.

So Wiseco is the piston kit to get? the best? for reliability and performance?

IF you have had it since new, then you can be fairly sure that it is still stock bore size, but not 100%. The best thing to do is pull it apart and take the jug down to where you are going to get it bored. They will measure it so you can be positive what size to get, and even then most will not bore it until the piston is in hand. (people buy the wrong stuff all the time)

x2 on replacing the seals while you have it apart.