rear brakes locking up

2-stroke-mingming

Jan 30, 2008
Selma, California
alright guys, I hope you can help me with this one. My son's blaster sat for about 3 months, after he washed it all down. Well, some water got into the rear brake caliper and kinda froze things up so i took it all apart, cleaned everything and reset the adjuster bolt according to the manual, but when it finally gets to grab the disc, it will not release. I thought it was the cable but I lubed it and it slides free. It will only release after I loosen up the three allen head bolts that hold the caliper cover on. I've taken it apart a few times already and always get the same results. I'm puzzled, what can be causing this?

take off the cover spray the sh*t out of it with break cleaner get a shorty break cable and u should be all good

im in the process of breaking down and restoring my calipers as we speak, i will try and help ya with this after i check mine out today.. if i see ne thing that would cause that.

Last edited:
another thing alot of people do not realize is that the 3 bolts that hold that cover on DO NOT need to be really tight. it will lock the caliper up everytime no matter how well it worked before. just make sure they are holding the cover on, and they wont fall off.

^^^^exactly^^^^ My rear caliper, once i got it working, was sticking and not releasing. If you bearly tighten the 3 allen bolts your break should work. Accoring to the manual they should be like 7-9 ft. lbs. that is bearly hand tight.

I don't know how to say this but the Blaster rear cable brakes are a flawed design in general. You will be lucky to just get them to work right.
Adding to d.jackson_12's good advice would be to also put loctite on those bolts.
To end your headaches that have nothing to do with you is to upgrade to 03' or later rear brakes or to go with and aftermarket rear brake.

good advice guys !!! sounds like the problem is solved..i didnt realize till now but i was thinking for some reason he had brakes like mine, mine are hydro...I forget they didnt use them till 03

hey, thanks a lot guys, I was actually tightening the heck out of the 3 bolts that hold the cover on, i did'nt know it was suppose to be 7-9ft lbs. I have'nt tried it yet but i'll try it first thing in the morning. Thanks again guys for all your help.