Rear axle need help please

i would use the old bearing race to pound on. that way you wont damage your sleeve.

I do believe the two seals are different, a nd 03+ right seal is different from pre 03.
Use care with the spacer sleeve or you will be buying one of those too. If you get small burrs on it file or grind them off before install.

Clean all the rust (etc) from right side of shaft, apply PB Blaster to it and into sleeve from both sides. Lightly tap sleeve as far as possible to right. Now clean all rust off left side of axle, apply PB again and tap sleeve to left.
Keep going back and forth cleaning and lubing, maybe even heating center of sleeve, but not end you will tap on.

If you manage to get sleeve off without destroying it, clean inside best as possible. Clean axle to bare metal in sleeve/brg area with sand paper/emerycloth, scotch brittch brite pad, or scotch brite wheel for drill.

Apply at least grease to sleeve and spline areas, anti-seize is even better.

Read this: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/wheres-the-grease.40007/

I also suggest adding zerk to carrier. Some pull inner seal from brg, some don't.

I had a Warrior sprocket hub that wouldn't budge with a 50T press. Had to split it 90% with abrasive saw blade, then weld it back up with stainless rod. Have a blaster hub I never did get off. Have seen hubs totally destroyed removing them. All in all you're doing good.

Assembly goes seal, brg, spacer sleeve,brg, seal.
Be sure to follow manual for proper installation of lock nuts on axle. Too tight andyou'll burn the brgs., too loose it will knock them loose from the carrier.

Reactions: Cr250R
Thank you all very much !!
I do believe the two seals are different, a nd 03+ right seal is different from pre 03.
Use care with the spacer sleeve or you will be buying one of those too. If you get small burrs on it file or grind them off before install.

Clean all the rust (etc) from right side of shaft, apply PB Blaster to it and into sleeve from both sides. Lightly tap sleeve as far as possible to right. Now clean all rust off left side of axle, apply PB again and tap sleeve to left.
Keep going back and forth cleaning and lubing, maybe even heating center of sleeve, but not end you will tap on.

If you manage to get sleeve off without destroying it, clean inside best as possible. Clean axle to bare metal in sleeve/brg area with sand paper/emerycloth, scotch brittch brite pad, or scotch brite wheel for drill.

Apply at least grease to sleeve and spline areas, anti-seize is even better.

Read this: http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/wheres-the-grease.40007/

I also suggest adding zerk to carrier. Some pull inner seal from brg, some don't.

I had a Warrior sprocket hub that wouldn't budge with a 50T press. Had to split it 90% with abrasive saw blade, then weld it back up with stainless rod. Have a blaster hub I never did get off. Have seen hubs totally destroyed removing them. All in all you're doing good.

Assembly goes seal, brg, spacer sleeve,brg, seal.
Be sure to follow manual for proper installation of lock nuts on axle. Too tight andyou'll burn the brgs., too loose it will k

2r3b49e.jpg

Got sleeve off and bearings out. But they seem real hard to get in here is a picture of the inside of the carrier is something still in there or in the way?

Here's the cleaned up axle. Took your advice heat and a wrench. Then used a grinder to clean it up. Well my brother actually. As you can see happy to break it free. He also drilled and tapped a nipple in the housing as suggested.
nf0eis.jpg

Anything look stuck or is that how it looks inside ? Had to stop for the night public safety showed up...
When I say stuck is that the right amount of rings in there or are there remnants of the old stuff I pulled out? On the other side is a bearing that still won't go in all the way but I can take it back out if needed. Gonna go to HF or AutoZone and rent a bearing press if I must but I don't want to force anything in if it looks wrong. I can't see getting them in that far and the seals..Thank all of for helping I'm shocked at the response great forum!
2r3b49e.jpg

Last edited:
I do believe the two seals are different, a nd 03+ right seal is different from pre 03..

I have a bearing kit from my brothers 01. So these are a no go ? Was brand new boss bearing kit . Do I need the 03 up kit? Had no idea that anything changed but I'm assuming it was the new brakes in 03? Carrier is different?

Please don't see me as a whining old fart, but there is an awful lot of crap around the work site, please make very sure that even a small bit does not enter the bearing or carrier on re assembly.

Mind you it has been a while since I have been in a carrier, and my memory fail me at times, but do I see the remains of an outer bearing shell lurking in there?
image.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that looks like the outer bearing race there, hard to tell it so dirty. Clean that thing up! Any little bit of sand, dirt, or whatever else is in there will dramatically shorten you bearing life if it gets in there

Yeah that looks like the outer bearing race there, hard to tell it so dirty. Clean that thing up! Any little bit of sand, dirt, or whatever else is in there will dramatically shorten you bearing life if it gets in there

I will try and clean it better . So it does look like pieces if the old race in there I don't wanna pry it with a screwdriver unless its supposed to be smooth.

Believe you me they can be bar stewards to get out.

Penetrant, heat, heat maybe more penetrant and heat.

Take it easy, do nothing drastic with the big hammer.

Everything in there should be smooth and shiny if you can get it that way. Been awhile since I looked at one but it looks like the outer ring from the bearings is still there

Everything in there should be smooth and shiny if you can get it that way. Been awhile since I looked at one but it looks like the outer ring from the bearings is still there

Alright I will go head out now and try and break that outer ring in the picture out

My friend tried a 10 ton press on his dirt bike hub to get the bearings out.

Noticed
TRIED someone else did it for his with a hammer right before he sold it

If I remember right I found something shallow I could put the carrier end in and put about half a can of liquid wrench and let it sit for awhile. Then I used a screwdriver and went through the carrier and just worked around in a circle tapping. IDK if you can get a screw driver on yours tho. Might be good to just stick the whole thing in a tub of kerosene for awhile

If I remember right I found something shallow I could put the carrier end in and put about half a can of liquid wrench and let it sit for awhile. Then I used a screwdriver and went through the carrier and just worked around in a circle tapping. IDK if you can get a screw driver on yours tho. Might be good to just stick the whole thing in a tub of kerosene for awhile

Thatsvwhat I've been doing. This is a real PITA holy cow. About to just dremel it out on both sides. Thisb was a he'll of a project. I dint understand why people don't maintain there stuff its so simple ...

Its our society these days people are lazy and just wanna have fun. Hell when I got mine one of the back rims had the holes worn out to about an inch wide, chain was missing master link clip, oil injection nipple was open, and on and on. Yeah I would say you could take a dremel and notch it and pop it out just be careful

Thatsvwhat I've been doing. This is a real PITA holy cow. About to just dremel it out on both sides. Thisb was a he'll of a project. I dint understand why people don't maintain there stuff its so simple ...

I've done that before. You have to be careful, and even when its split, its still hard to get out. My neighbor claims he has heated the outer races red hot, then thrown cold water on them and they fall out. I've never done that, and am yet to see it done, but he isn't a bullshitter, and is handy with a wrench.

Any route you take to get that outer race out, good luck, be careful, and enjoy the finished results when your done!

I'm afrai
I've done that before. You have to be careful, and even when its split, its still hard to get out. My neighbor claims he has heated the outer races red hot, then thrown cold water on them and they fall out. I've never done that, and am yet to see it done, but he isn't a bullshitter, and is handy with a wrench.

Any route you take to get that outer race out, good luck, be careful, and enjoy the finished results when your done!
afraid to heat the carrier too much it looks to be aluminum?