Rear axle need help please

Cr250R

May 28, 2014
Long Island
Ok I bought new rear bearings since they were shot, it took 4 hours to get them out and hammer the axle out. Now my problem is getting it back in . Do I have to split the axle in half somehow? Also it does not seem there is any room left for the rubber seals after new beatings are in. Axle is off the quad and I'm super confused..

Last edited:
if your seals don't go in after you installed the new bearings and spacer, your bearings aren't in all the way. as for the axle, once the bearings and seals are in, you slide the axle in from the right side. make sure to clean and grease the spacer so it does not stick again due to rust.

if your seals don't go in after you installed the new bearings and spacer, your bearings aren't in all the way. as for the axle, once the bearings and seals are in, you slide the axle in from the right side. make sure to clean and grease the spacer so it does not stick again due to rust.

Problem is it seems to get stuck on the right side like the bearings are too small the hole. Is that just because the bearings are not in enough ? Starting to regret not paying big ny money to have a pro do this..

can you post pics? if its not sliding in without effort, something is bound up, misaligned or rusted and needs to be cleaned off completely before the axle can slide in.

If you can drive the bearings all the way in with the old bearing. Heat helps. Make sure you put the collar back in. Try and wiggle the axle while sliding it in. They do get hung up sometimes.

can you post pics? if its not sliding in without effort, something is bound up, misaligned or rusted and needs to be cleaned off completely before the axle can slide in.

2cwsmix.jpg

If you don't have em stuck yet it helps if you can throw the bearings in the freezer for a while and then heat the carrier and slap em in. Don't try to turn the bearings after freezing til the warm up which won't take long in a warm carrier. They are a tight fit tho. That sleeve on the axle needs to be in the carrier b4 the bearings go in!

Reactions: Cr250R
The sleeve is still on your axle in the pic. that has to come off and go inside the axle carrier between the bearings.

I'm assuming that a old bearing ring I have to get offsomehow? How do I get the sleeve off? Keep hammering it down till it's off?

soak it in penetrating oil if it wont budge. than try to heat it up and try your best to tap it off while not doing to much damage.

soak it in penetrating oil if it wont budge. than try to heat it up and try your best to tap it off while not doing to much damage.

So keep heating it and banging it down until it comes off that's what we were doing moved it some but I wanted to ask you pros first. Yea I already set the bearings in ... Damn....

I had to destroy the old bearing to get them out it was hell...
i mushroomed the end of my axle getting it out. had no choice. was getting a new axle anyways eventually, so i wasnt worried. also had to cut the nuts off since they were rusted in place and not moving. so you are doing better than me..lol

So keep heating it and banging it down until it comes off that's what we were doing moved it some but I wanted to ask you pros first. Yea I already set the bearings in ... Damn....
just pop one of the new bearings out, no big deal.

I hear ya. My axle took hours to get out and I totally ruined it to do it. My sleeve wasn't a problem tho. It would be wise to put a grease fitting in the carrier while you got it apart. look at this too http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/anybody-seen-or-use-this-axle-lock-nut.58411/ Most of us here aren't pros, but we've had the benefit of learning from our mistakes and all the other great people. I joined here with my first quad, and haven't even finished my build yet but these guys taught me a lot!!

just pop one of the new bearings out, no big deal.
Yes I figured that's how I will do it I feel like a idiot not asking first... I will keep hammering the sleeve with heat on it until she comes off then stick it in and slide it all back together correct? Also thank all of you for helping me.

I hear ya. My axle took hours to get out and I totally ruined it to do it. My sleeve wasn't a problem tho. It would be wise to put a grease fitting in the carrier while you got it apart. look at this too http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/anybody-seen-or-use-this-axle-lock-nut.58411/ Most of us here aren't pros, but we've had the benefit of learning from our mistakes and all the other great people. I joined here with my first quad, and haven't even finished my build yet but these guys taught me a lot!!
My brother wants to tap a nipple in there I thought it would mess with the integrity of the carrier now I will et hom do it.

vebtyd.jpg

vebtyd.jpg

If you have a big open end wrench that fits over the sleeve, and tight to the axle, put it over it and try to tap it off. the old race will need tapped off as well. I'm no expert on if you can pop the bearings out and reuse them.....I'd be leary at best on doing that.

Once you get that sleeve off, clean that axle off really good, and make sure the inner carrier is clean as well. It will make re-assembling it a hell of alot easier for ya. Some scotch brite pads, and some simple grean will get it shiny. Just make sure to re-grease everything well when you reassemble.