Rad valve cost more

*Quad*King*1986

Oct 23, 2011
Bucks county, PA
I plan on getting an aftermarket reed cage/petals but I was under the impression that rad valve was the cheaper way to go and that they have almost the same performance as the VF3's. I looked on eBay and it was like $160 and vf3 are only $124 and "supposedly" have better performance. I mean if that's the case why do people get rad valve over the infamous almighty VF3 lol? Or was I mis informed? Maybe it's best to just get boysen pro stage petals or whatever the good ones are called with a stock cage. Whats the best way to go without breaking the bank? I know there are other threads similar to this but I'm not sure if they are asking the same thing. Sorry if I beat this subject to death lol

Are you talking cost/benifit ratio? All I did was port the stock cage and Vito's dual stage reeds. Until you at or near maxing out a build I don't think it's worth it. Being the "Doubting Thomas" that I am. I would have to see dyno results proving benefits, not just ass dyno. If I wasn't so old and technoligically challenged 8-| I'd post pics of a modded cage. Maybe my son can help :D

I had the rad valve, really seemed to increase throttle response and also low end, I compared it to VF2's I had. I didn't see a difference in power/response. The only advantage I see with the Rad valve is it is a solid cast aluminum design and sealed alot better to the intake than the plastic VF2's did, I also plan to use the VF3's in my new build and may (if it doesn't sell) toss on the rad valve and see if there is a difference.

The VF2 and 3's do have more reed area and I think they will flow more how much I can't say, The intake to the VForce's is almost the same exact size intake with that plastic insert as the rad valve. With out a dyno chart of each on the same motor- kinda hard to say which one flows better! JMO- yours may vary!

radvalves go against everything we try to acheive with porting, pipes and bigger carbs............more flow in, more flow out

the rad valve info i've seen online even suggest jetting down 2-3 main jet sizes for the decreased airflow they provide <<<< what ???

so put them on a stock bike, and you'll need a 200 main jet ????

radvalves go against everything we try to acheive with porting, pipes and bigger carbs............more flow in, more flow out

the rad valve info i've seen online even suggest jetting down 2-3 main jet sizes for the decreased airflow they provide <<<< what ???

so put them on a stock bike, and you'll need a 200 main jet ????

I hear ya on that , but shanes quad was jetted close to yours grnted i was on the rich side.... I'm not buying the drop jet thing even if they say that. B)

i had a rad valve i opened up some and kicked a lot of asses with it with my stock FLOTEK ported cylinder. BUT i feel it was holding my new motor back, if u are after low end the rad valve is right up your alley, if u want a stroked and ported bbk monster then its prolly not for you.

found on atv connection..................

"The MobileDyno charts show that the RAD valve set up on the Banshee lost horsepower on the top end."

Since my Banshee is down for a rebuild ............

"I've taken the time to dial in the Blaster. The carb jetting is perfect. Was using 13/41 gearing today. Started with the RAD valve and I thought it ran great. Changed to the stock cage with old stock reeds and it ran better and faster"

"Yes the throttle response is improved with the RAD...... but it was more controlled usable power with the stock cage with more mph."

Boysen Rad Valve - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

The rad valve gave better crisper throttle response but i just dont see spending 150 in a reed cage...i didnt lose any top end with my rad valve

taken from boysens jetting guide, i do see a suggestion to lower the main to a possible 190 for the 35A ?????...................

wsahcx.jpg

Interesting point that the older Blasters are shown to use a #220 main, yet the older ones use a #230 main..

Was there a difference in carbys, for the 88-89 models. Is there any difference post 01?

Are all YFS200 motors the same?

finally somrthing in writing to support your #220 jetting you've been qouting ha ????

as far as i knew they are all the same ???
maybe yami jumped up one size for some reason after 2 years ???

finally somrthing in writing to support your #220 jetting you've been qouting ha ????

as far as i knew they are all the same ???
maybe yami jumped up one size for some reason after 2 years ???

And it took you to find it for me, :) thanks.

Maybe Yami got sick of getting complaints from customers cooking top ends!

And it took you to find it for me, :) thanks.

Maybe Yami got sick of getting complaints from customers cooking top ends!

/\/\ thats what i was thinking, maybe in the colder months they were having troubles ???

i had a rad valve i opened up some and kicked a lot of asses with it with my stock FLOTEK ported cylinder. BUT i feel it was holding my new motor back, if u are after low end the rad valve is right up your alley, if u want a stroked and ported bbk monster then its prolly not for you.

Hhhmmm... Okay, well after I install my new carb (waiting for tors delete cable & intake boot I ordered from eBay today) then my aftermarket reeds & cage, I did plan on getting the +3 stroker but I'm don't know if I want to do the BBK thing (BBK have it's positives & negatives) but I definitely plan on getting a +3. You think I should go with the VF3's then? That is what my gut tells me to do

Hhhmmm... Okay, well after I install my new carb (waiting for tors delete cable & intake boot I ordered from eBay today) then my aftermarket reeds & cage, I did plan on getting the +3 stroker but I'm don't know if I want to do the BBK thing (BBK have it's positives & negatives) but I definitely plan on getting a +3. You think I should go with the VF3's then? That is what my gut tells me to do

depends on what u want to do, top end screamer, the rad valve is probally not your thing but a trail machine i would rock one again if a good deal came up. i used to drag race with my rad valve i opened up and there is a long list of 400's and a few 450's that would agree it ran really good lol I:I :D