Project: Bottoms Up

JPMartin86

Apr 14, 2009
Worcester
Well you probably have seen this post before but im moving it over to the full rebuild section. The clutch basket burst one day while riding which convinced me to do a full rebuild. Heres some pics, with an update on the paint job. I need to let the paint cure for a couple days, then ill start putting it back together.

Before
blaster2.jpg

2 hours into the tear down
downsized_0513091446.jpg

The catastrophic failure
blaster10.jpg

What kind of prep did you do? Sand blast or just sanding??? If so what kind of sand paper/prep materials did you use?

I started with power washing as much grease and oil off the frame as possible, then used a carb cleaner to get off the rest. I used my die grinder with low grit to get strait to the metal then went over it with a high grit to make it smooth. I washed it again with dawn soap which removes oils and grease pretty good. I then used total prep (a prep cleaner) before i primed. The first coat of primer is a mist coat of sandable primer over the frame, theres no need to cover the entire frame the first time. The mist coat is to help the rest of the primer to adhere better. Three coats of primer goes on after, each coat heavier than the next. I then used a primer sealer (helps prevent rust) and its applied the same way with a first mist coat then heavier. Next comes the paint which is applied the same way. After the paint is done, let it sit a while 20-30 min depending on humidity and temp. Then apply the clear coat with one medium coat, then several heavy coats. Let the clear coat harden for at least two days then youll be good to go.

It may not be the right way to paint it but this is how i have painted everything from bicycles to custom dashboards and they have all looked just as good, and hold up real well. Typically i do a lot of wet sanding but I figured it wasnt needed considering this project will be seeing a bunch of mud and rocks.

Some updates from today, I hope to have extended swing arms and long travel a-arms before this build is over. But I got the wheels on to give everyone an idea of what it will look like.

CIMG5113.jpg

CIMG5114.jpg

CIMG5115.jpg

CIMG5116.jpg

CIMG5117.jpg

CIMG5119.jpg

Ya thats sweet as hell ... Cant wait till winter to do my frame!!! Im just trying to bring mine back to life right now, just got it. Got a load of parts coming this week woohooo .. Thanks for the inspiration.!!

Quick update! I have some good news and bad news.....

The Bad:
I was looking at my clutch basket and it looks like i need a new one :( damn those grooves.

CIMG5164.jpg

The Good:
I just got some parts in; My crank kit, clutch boss, clutch pressure plate, and banshee steering stem. I have a bunch of bolts and what not to rebuild the engine coming in the mail along with a 400ex rear shock, Barnett Kevlar clutch kit. Tonight im suppose to go pick up a banshee axle if all goes well.

CIMG5165.jpg