Project "Blue"

007blaster

Dec 12, 2011
Northern Michigan
Hey guys,
Picked up a 01 Blaster a few months back for $850 with a spare bottom end. Compression was at 95psi, TORS was deleted but just a new cap was installed, no idle screw was installed. Oil pump had been deleted with a block off plate installed. Looked pretty rough but it started first kick.
Did a leakdown test once I got it home and the stator side crank seal was leaking, so I replaced both seals.

Parts on the way this week:

Vforce 3 Reeds from Awk- Thanks man!
Ltz400 rear shock w/ KOC bushings
KOR bore/hone cylinder with Wiseco Pro Lite piston w/ gasket kit.
Powermadd Handguards
Tusk ATV Hi Bend Fat bars
Pro Taper Diamond Grey grips
Fat bar mounts
New Maier Blue race front fender
Pro Circuit Silencer- Already have a Platinum Pipe.
Douglas .190 Front wheels

Plans:

Clean up ITP rear wheels
Get Nerfs
New rear fender
Civicdudes A-arms
Works Shocks
Tusk +4 axle
Bigger carb? Not sure what yet.
Have seat redone by VegasJeff (BansheeHQ)
New Chain
New Maxxis Razr tires all the way around.

I will post pics probably tomorrow of its current state and will try to update when ever I can or when new parts arrive.

Enjoy gents!I:I

Last edited by a moderator:
If the crank seal had been leaking for a while it could be the reason for the low compression.

For peace of mind I would be pulling the pipe of and inspecting the piston for damage by looking up the exhaust port.

If there is any damage to piston or rings it will not be long before it craps itself.

If the crank seal had been leaking for a while it could be the reason for the low compression.

For peace of mind I would be pulling the pipe of and inspecting the piston for damage by looking up the exhaust port.

If there is any damage to piston or rings it will not be long before it craps itself.

Yeah the whole top end is getting rebuilt, Ken is doing the cylinder work and I am getting a new piston/gasket kit from him.

Vforce 3's, New Pro Circuit Silencer, and Intake boot came in the mail yesterday. Hoping the parts from Rocky Mountain comes today(Maier race fender, fat bars,grip, bar mounts, hand guards). Top end got delivered to Ken today as well, hope that comes back soon, not sure what his usually turn around is but im stoked to see the work he does!!
Will get pics up soon guys!

Ok, heres some pics, sorry its been a while been staying busy with work and the 2 month old little boy. Today I should be able to sneek away into the garage for a while to put some of this stuff on. Still waiting on my cylinder/new top end to come in from Ken then it will get some tuning and time to play in the snow, we have about 5 inches here right now and its in the mid 20's-30's.Enjoy
101_1806.jpg

103_1891_zps84819267.jpg

103_1892_zps010739f7.jpg

nice pile of parts Nick !

check the "control length" on them bars, thats from the very tip, to where they start to bend downwards, the flat part that all your controls mount too.
you'll notice it's prolly less than on the stock bars ?

the only fat bars i could find with enuf "control length" for grip, thumb throttle and brake perch was the "trail tech x-bars" specifically made for atv's

most fat bars are made for bikes, which lack the thumb throttle, leaving plenty of room for grip/throttle and brake perch

just check those before modding, scratching, ect, or before the return period runs out and report your findings to us ?

So put the top end together last night, Kens work is awesome by the way! Very impressed.
Had to take it all back apart though due to one of the intake bolt threads was stripped out, bolt would turn and turn and turn but wouldnt tighten. So last night I pulled the top end back off drilled and tapped the holes to accept M7x1.00 bolts(next size up).
Ordered a new base gasket, tonight I will anneal the head gasket, drill out the intake boot, vforce reed and gaskets to accept the larger diameter bolts.
New base gasket, vforce pedals and new fuel lines will be here wednesday.
Still have to file down the carb a little bit more to get more adjustability out of the idle screw, re clean the carb and slap it all back together.
Hopefully wendesday or thursday she'll be put back together, leak and compression tested, ran thru the 3 heat cycles and then move on to plug chops!.

Our lake was froze over with about 5-7" of good ice but the past week has been 35-45 with rain and we lost our 6" of snow. This coming week looks like 6" of snow and back down in the 20's. Jetting will start at 300main and stock pilot. Hope the neighbors dont mind plug chop pulls down the road haha!

Looking good I:I I like how the bumper and hood look together. If you get a chance, let me know if there's much "extra" room between the top shock mount and fender, thanks. Need to know for future brain storm.;)