Project: Ankle Saver

06twostroker

Jun 14, 2012
breck county, kentucky
Hey guys im fixin to make some heel guards out of the cargo rack from a Honda Rancher. I have already used part of it to make a bumper, double lap jointed (stick welder:eek: )with bedliner paint. That thing is solid! My factory plastic heel guards are trash so I gotta improvise. I got it all planned out and pieces cut, tomorrow I'll try to get my stepdads MIG welder going and get it all together before going back to college this week. I'll try to post pics if I can figure it out any if anybody wants to see it.

I got them made yesterday, they need some work done to them though. they are leaned too far forward and hit plastic on one side. I thought maybe I could hit them with a 2 pound hammer and fix it but no such luck. That MIG welder is awesome lol. I have them welded to the factory floorboards in three places. The first one I did the welds didnt look so good the wire feed was off but the second one has some amazing welds! Any ideas how to get them to lean backwards without a torch? Ill get pics when I get home im back at college now

Only thing i can think of is a BFH or mapp gas and then a BFH!

Kind of hard to give a suggestion with out a pic.

Still down here at school but I been thinkin about it I think to get it leaned back the way I want I will cut it in half and grind an angle on one side and re weld it. Wish I could post pics right now to show you guys what im talkin about. Its probably rusted in half by now though lol I left it at home with no paint on it (inside a garage though) not even worried about rust though ill paint over it with some light sanding I just cant believe how incredibly strong the welds were. My first time in a very long time on a MIG welder that has been unused a couple years and my first time ever setting wire feed and how much gas and amps that only read 1 2 3 4 lol. Im pretty proud of myself haha

I know I said id get pics on here thursday but an opportunity came up and i now own a 2001 400EX. I did take pictures of the finished heel guards they looked sweet ill still try to post them but my multimedia messaging got taken off my phone so i dont know how to get them on the computer now