Problems with a yz 250

Sruiz67

May 1, 2013
San Antonio, TX
So I got a 97 yz 250, the motor sounds great. When you put it in gear the bike barely moves regardless of how much throttle you give it. Pull the clutch in and it revs again like it should and sounds mean with clutch pulled in. Let it out, and again while in gear, barely moves. Like I could run faster that it moves. Any ideas?

Oh and my blaster is running like a dream. My girlfriend thinks its hers and she rides it, while I ride a klx 300 I bought. I couldn't have gotten the blaster running without y'all's help. Thanks!

sounds like you need to adjust your clutch. You should be able to take your clutch cover off an adjust it there. Im not sure how yours looks but I had a 86 Yz250 and that's how I did mine.

sounds like your clutch cable is like really lose and your barley pulling it when its all the way in and you can ajust that at the lever or you have to take you clutch cover of and there is a small nut in the middle of the clutch basket like a blaster? if so you can adjust that and if not there probly ajustment where the lever is on the case. hope it helps.

I pulled the clutches out, they look ok. No burns or scratches. So I'm thinking that the clutch could be gone? Or the clutch is staying engaged a bit therefore not transferring the power to the wheel. It's like maybe the clutches and steel plates don't have enough pressure holding them together so they aren't transferring the power to the tire? Idk this us just what I'm thinking but I am a newbie. I'm wondering if the springs holding the clutch basket on are too worn and not giving the pressure that is needed to get the discs together for the clutch to let power get to the sprocket? Let me know y'all's thoughts?

if it can be shifted into gear and it still revs like in neutral it may be the transmission forks i would bet a pretty penny that if its npt the cluch its the forks in the transmission.

The oil is that maxima 80wt I was told?
This is what I did: I ordered a new tusk clutch kit and installed it. When I dropped the oil it smelled like burnt motor oil. Not like gear oil. I installed the new discs and friction plates even though the old ones looked fine and stacked together they were the same height as the new ones. Put new springs and put it all back together. I have not run it yet cause I will have to get some maxima 80wt, same stuff I run in my blaster. How does that sound?

Last edited:
The oil is that maxima 80wt I was told?
This is what I did: I ordered a new tusk clutch kit and installed it. When I dropped the oil it smelled like burnt motor oil. Not like gear oil. I installed the new discs and friction plates even though the old ones looked fine and stacked together they were the same height as the new ones. Put new springs and put it all back together. I have not run it yet cause I will have to get some maxima 80wt, same stuff I run in my blaster. How does that sound?

If 10w30 oil had been used in the tranny, and the clutch was slipping, it would smell like burnt engine oil.