Power..

06twostroker

Jun 14, 2012
breck county, kentucky
hey im new here. I was wonderin what all it would take to make a blaster engine comparable to a 400EX with least mods, least money and best reliability. I have an 06 blaster with boyesen pro series reeds, +4 timing, oil block off, tors delete, fmf silencer, outerwears airbox lid and a motion pro twist throttle...

doesn't take too much to hang with the 400. toomey pipe head modification and you'll keep up. hard part will be finding a used toomey for cheap. but you could just use the head pipe of one.

I do not see how you will be able to do this.

Sporty

lots of time and money

Its hard to see but this is me drag racin a 400ex and we are very much nose to nose. keep in mind my blaster has very worn tires less then 25% tread on them......his almost new.

in the end at top end the blaster hauls much harder

the banshee and Best's sx300 dont have problem pulling away

All the mods are in my sig and all done by me. i think i have less then $200 total on the motor and most of that was the pipe. i have 0 timing adjustment and running stock carb aswell with the airbox AND LIDD!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a fmf, no aribox, jetted, tires, stock gearing, and 20 over wiseco (at the time) and k&n filter

raced a 400ex in the grass and wasted it (well it was behind me anyhow) pretty much any blaster can compete with a 400ex if you know how to ride and shift fast enough. heck ive raced 450's in a straight line and at least kept up with them

BUT thats in a straight line, and a 100 yard race, on grass put a blaster and a 400ex in the sand for instance, and the 400ex will win

thats what ive learned over the years, and if you think different then go ahead and think different haha im telling what ive learned/raced

btw horsepower is not simply the only way to tell what will win. a 4 poker will usually always have more torque, there are things such as tires, gearing, rider weight etc etc

yea i didnt mean kill it with horsepower lol. i know power to weight is a big factor and torque is on the 400s side. i just wanna be quicker than than all the ragged out 4 strokes around here. forgot to mention i have 42t rear sprocket and a new weisco pro lite...but would just a pipe get em even? or at least on acceleration

hey im new here. I was wonderin what all it would take to make a blaster engine comparable to a 400EX with least mods, least money and best reliability. I have an 06 blaster with boyesen pro series reeds, +4 timing, oil block off, tors delete, fmf silencer, outerwears airbox lid and a motion pro twist throttle...

If you want to really stick your boot in the eye of that 400EX and laugh inside your helmet,

you will need the following...

A GOOD PIPE! and...

A HEAD WITH A RE-DESIGNED CHAMBERand...

A "AGRESSIVE TRAIL" PORTED CYLINDER! and...

PROPER JETTING!

That pretty much covers it.

The pipe is your choice. There are lots of good ones out there...

FMF
TOOMEY
DMC ALIEN
etc,etc,etc...

Don't get sucked into bigger carbs,and lots of decals,etc,etc

Use what works.

a stock blaster an a well moddod blaster are two different storys. 400exs walk all over factory blasters.

compaired to a stock 400ex a well built blaster can be made to spank them pretty much anywhere. i was out for hours in the pits with a bud on a ex. i consider my blaster lightly built and even in the pits climbing the high steep hills the blaster would hold its rpm and speedd much better then the ex. like all 4 strokes the ex is full of tq but limits in power quite quick what do they have like 25 horse? thats alot of downshiftinn...

450s are a different story they put out more hp then a mild built blasty and pull that tq for days

Last edited:
yea i got alot of things planned for it. just when i can get money to do those things lol im in college and work at walmart so not much money to play with. i have read alot of threads though and have learned alot from you guys. thanks for the help!