port and polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in the business for quite some time and I can assure you that an extremely choppy/uneven intake and exhaust port and no work in the transfer runners is not the way to make "Big" power. A good port job should look as well as it functions even if nobody can see inside of your engine. It should be smooth and consistent, as in free of ripples, dips, nicks or sudden changes in surface texture. The porting should be symetrical from side to side as if a mirror image from left to right, which is esspecially critical in the transfer ports to promote propper cylinder scavenging. All of the true builders that I know put a level of quality that can be easily seen in their work.
Did you all stop to think that MrBorroco hasn't posted in here again because it has become the Kennedy chearleader thread. He got beat up for asking if it looked right and what people thought. Of course Kennedy is going to tell him that it is perfect, so I'm sure he didn't feel the need to ask him about it. Furthermore, the biggest issue he had with it from my reading is that the spark plug threads were stripped when he got it back, which IMO is no way to conduct business.
I can post all of the dyno charts in the world, and I can also make them read whatever I want them to and tell you that they are whatever I want you to think. I will admit, that it has been a very clever sales tactic for Mr. Kennedy to post them up. But, the fact of the matter is that they are merely a tool to be used to guage improvement on a particular setup. You can take the same setup/tune and run it on two different dyno's and get two different results. Nothing can replace a real world load, period! And hours upon hours on the dyno doesn't mean you can port a set of cylinders. It is more of an art, something you either have the hands for or don't. All of the knowledge in the world will get you nowhere if you can't put it to use. Furthermore, you can not convince me that the Vito's or Shearer pipes are the best pipes for every single application and suited for everyone's riding style. There are many pipes on the market that will beat either of these on the bottom end hands down.

Something for thought: Why are the intakes cut on his port jobs? Seems funny to me that he cuts them at all if there is "no gain" in cutting the intakes. Hmm??

I have been in the business for quite some time and I can assure you that an extremely choppy/uneven intake and exhaust port and no work in the transfer runners is not the way to make "Big" power.

i will agree to that
bottlenecking!

Well said Wildcard2. I still think Mr Kennedy knows his stuff, even though that port job is a little sloppy.

I have been in the business for quite some time and I can assure you that an extremely choppy/uneven intake and exhaust port and no work in the transfer runners is not the way to make "Big" power. A good port job should look as well as it functions even if nobody can see inside of your engine. It should be smooth and consistent, as in free of ripples, dips, nicks or sudden changes in surface texture. The porting should be symetrical from side to side as if a mirror image from left to right, which is esspecially critical in the transfer ports to promote propper cylinder scavenging. All of the true builders that I know put a level of quality that can be easily seen in their work.
Did you all stop to think that MrBorroco hasn't posted in here again because it has become the Kennedy chearleader thread. He got beat up for asking if it looked right and what people thought. Of course Kennedy is going to tell him that it is perfect, so I'm sure he didn't feel the need to ask him about it. Furthermore, the biggest issue he had with it from my reading is that the spark plug threads were stripped when he got it back, which IMO is no way to conduct business.
I can post all of the dyno charts in the world, and I can also make them read whatever I want them to and tell you that they are whatever I want you to think. I will admit, that it has been a very clever sales tactic for Mr. Kennedy to post them up. But, the fact of the matter is that they are merely a tool to be used to guage improvement on a particular setup. You can take the same setup/tune and run it on two different dyno's and get two different results. Nothing can replace a real world load, period! And hours upon hours on the dyno doesn't mean you can port a set of cylinders. It is more of an art, something you either have the hands for or don't. All of the knowledge in the world will get you nowhere if you can't put it to use. Furthermore, you can not convince me that the Vito's or Shearer pipes are the best pipes for every single application and suited for everyone's riding style. There are many pipes on the market that will beat either of these on the bottom end hands down.

Something for thought: Why are the intakes cut on his port jobs? Seems funny to me that he cuts them at all if there is "no gain" in cutting the intakes. Hmm??

So, your saying that dyno's are only good for tuning and that they can be manipulated to show what ever you want? I do agree with you about real world performance. That is what counts. I just put a Kennedy ported top end on my son's bike. A ported 240 kit set up for a +3 stroker for under 500.00 is a great deal. I hope your wrong about the performance. Do you have any examples of what a good port job looks like on a blaster cylinder

Well said Wildcard2. I still think Mr Kennedy knows his stuff, even though that port job is a little sloppy.

Ya the man has great knowledge. its more like a PHD or doctorate graduate. for example a PHD mech. engineer can study for years bout cars and stuff. but some don't even know where to start when it comes to fixing a manifold leak, but they can tell you every element of metal that the car has been produced by. they master the knowledge but still need to learn the technique. don't get me wrong i'm not saying he dont know what he doing, i'm just saying he may need to improve on his quality of work. Specialized7's port and polish from kennedy looks like it had more time worked on it than mrborroco and they both got their cylinders done by the same person. Its not fair when doing two port & polish jobs and one cylinder has a nicer port & polish look and it shouldnt matter what size bore, if the same builder did them, then those port jobs should look identical. mrborocco IMO i thnk you just got a port job w/o polish cuz the stock engine paint is still all in the intake and like you said it don't look like he did much around your other ports.

Last edited:
So, your saying that dyno's are only good for tuning and that they can be manipulated to show what ever you want? I do agree with you about real world performance. That is what counts. I just put a Kennedy ported top end on my son's bike. A ported 240 kit set up for a +3 stroker for under 500.00 is a great deal. I hope your wrong about the performance. Do you have any examples of what a good port job looks like on a blaster cylinder

Understand that im not saying that his work will not show any gains in performance or that you would be terribly disappointed in your bike. What I am simply pointing out is that the majority of builders or ppl who do performance on any type of machine take alot of pride in what they do. It is more of a passion, than a job or way to make money. I am not in the buisness of cutting on anyone or trying to out whit other builders, I am simply stating that you will get what you pay for and I hate to see ppl getting ripped off and then beat up on for asking an honest question. The only thing he wanted to know was if thats how a good port job should look.
As for your dyno question on the dyno. They have several parameters that can be manipulated to change the readings. They are set up so I can dyno an engine here at 5000' with my weather variables and be able to calculate how it will run at sea level ect. These parameters can be tweaked to the point to give misleading readings. If you want some example pictures of my work, I have several posted in the Sponsors forum of www.dunercentral.com . Feel free to check them out.

I could have sand blasted the intake and then cut the intake; would you have gained power; no. It would have looked better; do you want a intake that looks nice or a engine that makes twice the OEM power. That set up with a Shearer pipe and 35mm carb, and timing set at +4 is good for 33hp
]

I myself have a question for THE BUILDER?
I see that mrbrocco is running the vito's pipe.
When he sent his cylinder to you to have work done did you discuss what pipe he was going to run, or did you just port it to what you thought he should run?

Thanks Wildcard for saying exactly what I've been thinking for a long time.

As for the guy that said that he paid $500 for a port job and 240 set up, I think you could have done better on the performance end. Yes not a bad price though.

And for specialized7, I do know the whole story, do you?

thank you for this wildcard, have some rep points bud

Thanks Wildcard for saying exactly what I've been thinking for a long time.

As for the guy that said that he paid $500 for a port job and 240 set up, I think you could have done better on the performance end. Yes not a bad price though.

And for specialized7, I do know the whole story, do you?

I agree with the performance part If I wanted to pay another what 250 to 400.00. But for most, 500.00 will only pay for 240 kit by itself.

I myself have a question for THE BUILDER?
I see that mrbrocco is running the vito's pipe.
When he sent his cylinder to you to have work done did you discuss what pipe he was going to run, or did you just port it to what you thought he should run?

I agree thanks for your insite on this subject. My input on this subject has been only to learn more of it. I figured that Mrbrocco would have at least tried the topend and found out whether it worked or not. Hence, letting others know that it did or did not. I know that most porting for other types of motors have bigger and smoother transitions to the ports. But, as all builders are out there trying new and different things to make power. I gave Kennedy the benifit of the dought. My main interest was getting a 240 kit for less then most were selling without some kind of porting. His customer service has been good to me. I bought one of those cool heads that were being sold on the net. The guy didn't come thru for me with the right dome. So, I called Kennedy and told him the story. He had me send my topend back and he set it up to run without the spacer and he set it up for my fat bastard instead of my fmf SST. He did this all for no charge but the shipping. So, Yes I am giving him a chance. I have still to ride it. Got back in the bike and will take it for a ride this weekend.

thats awsome!!!
but................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................!!!

Why didn't he call Kennedy before making this post ?If Kennedy wouldn't make it right then make the post.Would you buy a TV ask 1000 people if they think it is going to work before you even plugged it in ? Then have someone work on it be for you plug it in ? NO you would not!you started this post then you didn't Even try it or keep us informed.I would like to draw my own conclusion instead of getting half the story and a bunch of peoples opion "opions are like buttholes, everybody has one & most of them STINK" .So we should get some of the STINK out of here and get some facts. Run it & quite making everybody guess! Not saying opines are a bad thing I value everyones opines but that is all they are opines you hold all the secrets. Its OK I have level 13 Clearence. Not trying to hurt anyones feelings just tired of this BLA BLA BLA BLA.........

Status
Not open for further replies.