plug cap resistance? orange wire volts?

iLikeIke

Jun 6, 2012
southern wisconsi
looking at the manual and its saying the plug cap should have 4-6k ohms resistance.. when i ordered a new coil it didnt come with a cap, so i used one off a lawn mower.

would this affect why my quads not starting right? is there a resistor in there that is needed?

also when hooking a voltmeter to the orange wire goin to the coil how many volts should i see there?

The cap resistance is a noise suppressor, the one from the mower should work, you just wont be able to get good radio reception.

Last edited:
The orange wire is fed by the stepper transformer in the CDI. It has microsecond long ~200VAC pulses. You would need an oscilloscope to see the output....

The resistance from the spark plug cap has a LITTLE bit more to do with the ignition system than just radio interference. The circuit inside the CDI box has some noise suppression built in but not enough to handle LOTS of EMF interference.

The wrong spark plug cap could cause an erratically timed fire but it wouldn't cause no fire at all.

Pull the spark plug out of the head, turn off the gasoline flow at the petcock, lay the spark plug against the head, and kick the kicker. The spark plug gap should have a nice consistent blue spark. If not, download the service manual from the general support section of this forum and step through the troubleshooting guide. It outlines checking each component separately and confirming that it's working. The last stop on "that train" is the CDI box.