Painting frame yellow!!!

J2PUISANT

Oct 15, 2010
rockland county, NY
Hey everyone. I painting my frame yellow. It is grey now. I've never done this before but i'm alway up for a challenge. Dont suggest powdercoat cause i'm not down with it. Any advise would be appreciated. Is there a thread on stripping, painting, and clearcoating. I want my fram done right. Yes, i have a lot of tolerance and patience lol. I did reply to another thread about this buit being that this my project i wanted to start one myself. Help please!!! Here are some before pics...i:i

Attachments

• IMAG0481.jpg
    IMAG0481.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAG0482.jpg
    IMAG0482.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0483.jpg
    IMAG0483.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMAG0484.jpg
    IMAG0484.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 280
Make sure all old paint is scuffed good and is totally clean before spraying. Spray the first coat light and let dry. Don't go heavy on any of the coats and follow proper drying time between each coat.

PREP is key !! Not sure on any gun type paint, but with rattle cans you really have to watch the RE-coat window. They all vary, and you will not be impressed with yourself or the paint if you don't read the instructions closely. ASK ME how I know THIS LOL

thats guna look good, especially if you do black and yellow fenders! thats the way ima do my other banshee, goin back classic yz black and yellow, and if you have or know sombody that has a sand blaster that would work great for stripping the old paint, if not a wire brush wheel on a grinder will work too. and make sure you put alot of clear on to help with chipping.

you guys are awesome. thank you for the input. tomorrow night I will start to tear down the bike and I will update you guys with pictures. I wasn't going to necessarily change the fender colors. I was just going to repair with the same blue.

I just did my frame, swing arm etc.. I suggest using 1 coat of primper 1 coat of paint and 1 coat of clear.. I got this tip from AWK and this is what I did to mine (see my thread in full rebuilds)..

After the 1st coat of paint (let the paint sit for a few mins till its tacky, then hit it with a torch (regular home depot $20 worked for me) U will be amazed at what it does to the paint.. Practice on a scrap of metal learn how long to keep the heat on it etc.. Do the same to the clear coat. ( u don't have to let the clear sit, it drys pretty fast, so after spraying just hit it with the heat.)

It takes some time, but anything worth doing is worth doing right..