oil out of the gearbox vent hose?

nd jat

Aug 10, 2008
mandan ND
I know my gear oil isn't more than 650ml in the case, But unsure as to why after riding multiple times it would suddenly deside to weep out the vent over the front of the blaster, exept one other time at the place I was riding at no other places.
Only thing that crossed my mind was maybe the rocking of going over whoops might be the reason for the event of oil going up a hose?? Other wise I'm stumped to any possible reason this would occur. :-/
I have checked with a leak down tester before... kept pressure for more than a min.... so theory would say my crank seals should be good. That was in between events with the oil.
Anyone else have any thoughts about this? Could Lucas gear oil be to thin maybe? And slosh more? :-/

I had a leaky clutch cover gasket, and got water in my oil, and the milky looking oil came out of the vent hose ....

What does your oil look like???????????

I had a leaky clutch cover gasket, and got water in my oil, and the milky looking oil came out of the vent hose ....

What does your oil look like???????????

Like the oil I put in exept splattered over the exhaust, front of the motor, and frame. was thinking of rerouting the vent to the rear so if it does happen its leaving the trail behind me instead of splattering my leg with hot oil.

Seen it happen a couple of times. I always figured it was aeration of the oil cuz it only happened with long hard riding sessions. Yamaha put that vent there to keep it high and dry. As long as your rerouting accomplishes the same thing, you should be fine.

Ya I was riding hard before hand both times. I hope so I routed it to the flange on the tank cover lip under the seat, then down to just behind the swinger bolt. At least if this does deside to kick oil out it's not over the front any more. Got the idea from brotherinlaws Bayou.