OEM (genuine Mikuni or Keihin) vs. Aftermarket

offtosleep

May 26, 2013
So now that I own two Blasters and will likely be messing with jetting (as I plan on riding a several different elevations around our state and during the winter too), I'm just wondering about jets. Specifically, when ordering jets (Jets R Us mikuni, keihin, hitachi, holley, jets and carb parts), is it worth double the price for the genuine article or do the "equivalent" jets work just as well?

Any opinions or experience?

It is well worth the extra brass to get genuine jets, generic or cheap jets are inconsistent with their sizes.

Many a cheap jet has cased major headaches, only buy genuine jets.

Man!!!! I wished is posted this before I bought the "jet kit" from jetsrus. That was a waste of money I guess:(

genuine jets are the way to go...although i have ahd good luck with pro-x jets before. ive swapped them out with genuine keihins before to test for differences and had none.

Man!!!! I wished is posted this before I bought the "jet kit" from jetsrus. That was a waste of money I guess:(

You may be lucky to get useable jets, they may not be entirely correct but could be useable as you will be plug chopping to confirm jetting.

It is possible to simulate a size difference in jets by varying the pre mix oil ratio.

Do not be tempted to use the needle if the kit comes with one.

You may be lucky to get useable jets, they may not be entirely correct but could be useable as you will be plug chopping to confirm jetting.

It is possible to simulate a size difference in jets by varying the pre mix oil ratio.

Do not be tempted to use the needle if the kit comes with one.

Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I'll use the jets when they come and the plug chop. When I get it running nicely, I'll buy the genuine article and go from there.

You don't NEED genuine jets. You are going to have to plug chop it anyway. The only reason you would get genuine jets is so you can be closer to the recommendations given to you. Who cares if the jet says 300, but is actually a 280 in a genuine size. All that matters is what the somke ring looks like. After you get it jetted with those jets leave them in there. There will be no further benefits to swapping them.

You don't NEED genuine jets. You are going to have to plug chop it anyway. The only reason you would get genuine jets is so you can be closer to the recommendations given to you. Who cares if the jet says 300, but is actually a 280 in a genuine size. All that matters is what the somke ring looks like. After you get it jetted with those jets leave them in there. There will be no further benefits to swapping them.

Good and valid point!