Odd problem..maybe you have the answer

Good point shee, I didn't notice that. More importantly tho, he hasn't changed it, and prob hasn't cleaned the one he has. Jetting problems don't just appear out of thin air. When it WAS running fine, but NOW isn't, it's gotta be something deeper.

Good point shee, I didn't notice that. More importantly tho, he hasn't changed it, and prob hasn't cleaned the one he has. Jetting problems don't just appear out of thin air. When it WAS running fine, but NOW isn't, it's gotta be something deeper.

So far on the carb i have tore it down 3 times and cleaned it each time.. cleaned the needle..and all jets are clear and clean...took out the coke cleaned. Also took compressed air and blew all passages out.. which all clean and clear.. This carb is stock. has stock size needle and jets per the Yamaha service manual. Air mixture screw it 1 1/2 turns out. Air filter is clean, runs worse with air top on. Compression is around 120. was not able to do leak down.. Mixture is already at 32:1 .. spark plug thats in it now is iridium. Replacing that with stock..Only thing i havent checked so far is the reeds

Thanks a buch guys for all the thoughts and ideas so far.. by far one of the rare forums i have ever been on with out sarcastic remarks! Its nice to have people willing to help! Thanks !

Last edited:
SO here is a update on this situation. Some of the things we have done:

- leak down (no psi drop)
- compression is 120
- changed to another stock carb (no change)
- disabled switches for the tors system.
- clip on needle is set 2nd from the top.. tried 3 and 4th no change
-new plug
-fresh 32:1 gas
-seems to run alittle better with air box lid off
-checked reeds there fine
- spark is a nice white/blue color
- no ebrake switch
- cleaned carbs like a dozen times!
-screw is 1 1/2 turns out.

-Has Stock jets. its a stock blasty. bone stock. stock filter, stock carb. etc etc.

it will idle fine .. give it any slight gas it bogs out bad.. I pull the plug its wet and little oil on it. It a idle wont even rev all the way out still bogs..

any other avenues i can try going down?

Last edited:
???? Bad spark at low RPM ????
Is it possible for the timing to be off enough to kill the bottom end but not know it in the top end?????
How does it run with the choke on? Did you turn the choke off?

I know these are dumb questions.

???? Bad spark at low RPM ????
Is it possible for the timing to be off enough to kill the bottom end but not know it in the top end?????
How does it run with the choke on? Did you turn the choke off?

I know these are dumb questions.

When i start it cold i have to use 1/2 choke soon as it fires up i turn the coke off.. if i put it on full choke it dies.. I am going to swap out the cdi and other stuff off my blaster on to his and see if there is any change. I swapped coils to try to rule it out.. it sounds like when you rev it.. reminds me of a two step on a car.. it revs like bahhhhh ,, bogggggg baaa ,,boggggg bahhh .. likeit wont rev past a certin rpm.

did you check the float level while you had it apart? and have you checked the reeds?

Reeds are good. float level i am going to double check and make sure.

What year Blaster is this? It's certainly starting to sound like you are describing something electrical.

BTW, I know you said you've cleaned the jets, but the pilot jet is down inside a tube next to the main jet and is often overlooked. Did you take THAT one out and clean it?

What year Blaster is this? It's certainly starting to sound like you are describing something electrical.

BTW, I know you said you've cleaned the jets, but the pilot jet is down inside a tube next to the main jet and is often overlooked. Did you take THAT one out and clean it?

lol yep took that little booger out also ..got done setting the float height. I am really starting to think the pick up might be going out. ir cant pick up well at higher rpm. Now finding a flywheel puller locally is gonna be the trick .

^^^yeah noob thats normal wear, dont worrie about that unless the cylinder walls are scratched up or scored, then you need a bore to clean it up. take a picture if you can get a good one so i can take a peek, you may be able to just do a nice hone and new rings and get away with it. do you remember leaning this topend out in the break in at all?? my cylinder wall was pretty scary (to me) i was told to just do new rings, been fine ever since

This in the wrong thread?

lol yep took that little booger out also ..got done setting the float height. I am really starting to think the pick up might be going out. ir cant pick up well at higher rpm. Now finding a flywheel puller locally is gonna be the trick .

They sell them two places in my little town, gotta have at least one in yours.

Did you end up having to adjust that float or was it ok?

DId you ever say what year of bike this is?

i still dont understand why you need a flywheel puller.
He's thinking about pulling the flywheel to look at the stator, I guess.

BTW though, Russ. You can check the stator coils with a digital meter at the connections where it plugs into the harness.

Physical inspection would be worthwhile if you suspect a worn or damaged key. No matter what, sooner or later you will need a puller.

i still dont understand why you need a flywheel puller.

I am going to remove the stator and pick up from my blaster.. switch it in to this blaster to see if there is any change. this has been a 4 day project.. being last night i was up til 2am this is the last thing that hasnt been touched.

He's thinking about pulling the flywheel to look at the stator, I guess.

BTW though, Russ. You can check the stator coils with a digital meter at the connections where it plugs into the harness.

Physical inspection would be worthwhile if you suspect a worn or damaged key. No matter what, sooner or later you will need a puller.

I did the test on them. .today is how so it shows out of range.. in the book they tested a 68F and its almost 90. lol i am going to switch them just to see. So yes either way id need a puller

But a puller is like gold around here..both the local bike shops here dont have it in stock they have to order. Just my luck