Obligatory Wont start thread - Reed valve function

petersenj20

Jul 21, 2009
I just fully assembled an engine that I disassembled because it was froze up. Apparently literally, because I emptied about a pint and a half of water from the fuel flow area of the crankcase. I found a single flap of the reed valve broken. I don't remember which side, because I wasn't paying attention when I removed it. I "repaired" it with a junk credit card by attempting to make one like a gasket.

I got it to start this morning, but didn't run very well. Ran for about a minute and popped through the carb. Now it won't even hit a lick. We've been snowed in and will prob through the week so can't buy a new reed valve flap.

Compression is 100. A bit low, I know, but should run me thinks. Good spark. Plenty of 32:1 fuel mix. Oil injector been bypassed.

Does the Reed sound like the culprit? Any other suggestions what it may be while I'm snowed in with nothing to ride?

the reeds are deff a problem, i bet u have an airleak though, i suggest getting a leakdown tester

dont rush it or u will end up with a rolling chassis and a blue bin of engine on craigslist in no time

yup the redneck reed repair is last ditch get you back so you aint gotta push it back repair . when you buy new reeds , keep the good one thats left , it will save you in a pinch .

put real reeds in it and then see what it does, but its gonna be due for a top end soon for sure

Popping through the carb could certainly be the reeds, but you might want to check the tightness off your flywheel nut and the key. If it gets loose at all, the key will shear and throw off your timing.

put real reeds in it and then see what it does, but its gonna be due for a top end soon for sure

Being a 4 stroke guy, I could't help but laugh. What is considered the "top end"?

I would say a head, gasket, and valves, but that doesn't exactly fit does it? I had the head off draining the water. It and the cylinder looked good.