no pwerband, cutting/ stalling!!!

nickpipes

Mar 16, 2010
Larose Louisiana...in da marsh!
so my buddy got an 04 blaster with a 240 big bore kit, a hugee Keihin PWM carb with a 170 jet, v forve reeds and a fmf pipe, and a bunch of other crap that doesnt pertain to engine. it idles and runs fine in low rpm's but once you try to lay into it, it just sputters and looses power, if you keep it pinned for a lil bit it does kinda clear up, but still has NO power, and deff. no powerband, just a little top end once the sputtering clears up. and openions on what it is?
btw, reeds look ok, freash plug, but the piston does have a lil play

piston has play? that cant be good... as far as the cutting and stalling it sounds like its not getting fuel. have him check the float height and clean all the jets out really well then do a plug chop.

I recently had the same symptoms with my blasty. We checked petcock, floats, cleaned carb, checked reeds, about everything we could think of. Then I check the stator with a multimeter, found the problem, one of the coils were shot. Meaning the no power issue and sputtering was timing related. so you might wanna throw a tester on those leads from the stator.

First off, you need to be more specific on what it's doing.

Is it cutting out/stalling(literally?) or is it sputtering as you stated as well. Both are opposites of each other in fuel mixtures.

Sputtering is an example of being too rich(usually on mains, but not always) and cutting, misfiring, backfiring, overheating is a sign of running too lean. What size carb is it? Is it doing this at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4-full throttle? If you are not familiar with the sputtering that occurs, then ride around with the choke half out and if it's rich it will simply sputter more, if it's lean it might run a little better. Keep in mind that the pilot/air screw controls air fuel mixtures from idle to 1/4 throttle, needle taper and needle clip position from 1/4 to a little over 1/2 throttle, and the main controls everything(in conjunction with pilot) from 3/4-full throttle.