new shock

blue2001

Feb 25, 2010
rockledge, florida
so i got my new yfz 450 shock yesterday and i just put it on now my bike looks busted. it has like 18 inches of wheel well gap now and is all jack up in the back looks like all it needs now s a lift for the truck and i got a 4 whell drive blaster. wtf. so if i cant figure out how to lower it then i will be sellin a shock. just needed to vent

yeah, the yfz 450 shock will raise the rear of the bike. have you ridden it with the new shock yet?

Try sitting on it and see if it is still too high. Hope you get it figured out, I want to do the same thing for my blaster.

Well have you worked out the geometry?? figured out how much travel the shock provides? how much frame clearance it has when bottomed out?, Where in the travel curve ride height falls? how much sag do you want in it?? Before you just bolt anything to a blaster, you need to know what it does, what it does different, would are the pros and cons.... I never do somethingto my bike just because everyone else is. If all you do is copy others with no rhyme or reason, your bike wont be any faster than anyone else. And you can never go by looks, hell a stock bike looks like it has tons of travel, but it dont.

You have to cut it down, and back the spring pre-load off all the way for a reasonable ride height.
Heres a pic to help.

DSCF3419.jpg

well i just got back from rideing it for the first time with the new shock and it takes rough trails real nice it just sits to high for me when i sit down it drops decent looks like the blaster does with the stock shock with no one on it. its just to top heavy likes to go on to 2 wheels in coners. well i figured i will take my extended swing arm off and cut and weld my stock one and leave the shock mount in the stock spot and see if i like it.

i meen i love the way the shock rides its just to tall and its to tipsy. if i could use that but lower it i would be happy. but i guess i cant have the best of both worlds

heres what i did to get my trx250r shock to sit lower, a little more detail in "lil awks build", moving it back 2 inches made the bike sit 6 inches lower.................

9h836p.jpg

thats why im gonna try and extended my stock swing arm and leave the shock mount in the stock spot and see if that will work

So I am assuming that you have looked at and measured the static and ride hieght angle of the swingarm?? as extending its at greater than a 91 deree axis to verticle will just make the back end that much higher.......