Need help choosing carb rebuild kit or jets or something

Juancho

May 4, 2010
Ok guys, I've been doing some searching ( TONS) and apparently, you don't need much modification to be able to take advantage or even need bigger jets on your carb. I even read somewhere that removing the air box lid was enough to warrant a bigger jet of some sort. I don't now much about this. My carb is leaking gas through the overflow tube. I THINK the little valve you open and close for fuel flow is also faulty. With my mods, what kind of carb rebuild kit should I get?
Bigger jets?

FMF Gold Series Fatty
Bored .40 over Pro X piston
No air lid, K&N filter
Altitude is not really a problem here, I live in Puerto Rico :p
Do pretty much %90 trail riding, hill climbs, etc. And road riding in between trails, thats it. No racing, no search for super speed.

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• Pipa Blaster.jpg
    Pipa Blaster.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 208
I would guess you should be in the 290 to 320 range in jetting. that leak sounds like you have a bad neadle and seat which comes in a rebuild kit. I ordered mine from rockymountainatv.com pretty cheap and has instructions if you haven't done it before. I would order jets from 280 through 330 they come in increments of 10 so that would be 6 jets total at like 3 bucks a piece. this way you have more room to tune with. if you are running the stock 230 main right now, you are indanger or fryin that topend

Reactions: 2_Smoked
Good advice^^^^. No lid, good filter and decent pipe = major airflow diff over stock.

A petcock repair kit can be found on ebay, but try rockymountain first if you get a carb repair kit and jets from them. Can't go wrong with quality parts, buy only true mikuni jets for your carb.

I'm gonna go out and buy the kit now, do I need to change any other jets other than the main jet? Please help ASAP if possible!
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm gonna try and get 5 jets, from 290 to 320, and the rest of the carb rebuild kit, and if you guys tell me to change the pilot or whichever jet is the idle jet, that one also!

Also gonna buy the transmission screw, seems like King Kong screwed it in! Gonna tighten it to it's mandatory 14 ft/lbs so it doesn't screw up again, ETC
Sorry for the babbling!
( also might check out a new chain, but $89 seems a little steep for an O-ring chain. How much service could I get out of a non- O ring?

Looking through some of the threads on here, most people with with an FMF exhaust, aftermarket air filter with no lid seem to run a 270 or 280 main so with 300-320 you might be a tad rich unless you have some VF3s but IDK. i have the same setup without the K&N & an Uni but im still waiting on a few parts before i can do some testing. Check out the pipe review that is stickied & you can get a better ballpark figure where it might be a good place to start with the jetting from other peoples setups. Good luck!

http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/pipe-review-23423/

you should be fine with the pilot. ^^^^^the reason i said to buy up to 320 is just incase you do some more upgrades it would be nice to have them already.

Guys! Had to get back at you, you guys where a lot of help! Thanks a lot! Turns out it was already jetted to 270!
Got the rebuild kit for the carb, and the fuel leak is gone! Also changed the weak old chain for a new non o-ring chain ( couldn't afford o-ring chain).
Had to replace the transmission drain screw, got that too.
Now my blaster seems to be running perfectly smooth! A cold start means only 2-3 kicks!
What's next is to figure out where does the tail light connect to, I found the 2 tail light wires cut and hanging around randomly.
Thanks a lot guys!

Hey, Jauncho, I'm chiming in kinda late, but since you got a non-0-ring chain, bear in mind that you will need to spray that with lube religiously. (o-rings need lube too but are a bit more forgiving)

just lube the chain before every ride, just a little motor oil is better than nothing. but the good stuff will last longer.

i personally would suggest going atleast one maybe two sizes bigger for the pilot jet. but that is me.

Yup, you'll get a better idle and smoother accleration if you change out that stock (assuming your carb has a stock) 32.5 pilot jet for a 35 pilot. With your mods, a 35 pilot should be plenty. I run one in my neighbor's Blasty with similar mods, and it does well. His airscrew is out about 1.5 turns, if that helps any. Your setting should be similar.