nboldmans 02' rebuild!

nboldman

Feb 5, 2012
Kentland, Indiana
Well boys and girls, men and women, since my top end is out getting bored and hone by oconnor i figured its time to do a "freshen" up! Gonna take alot of pictures. Funny thing is, i talked my mom into(since we live in an apartment) to bring the bike home and put it in the house! Going to disassemble tonight, im going to be sand blasting the old paint off the frame. The frame will be painted in the high school paint booth by me. I believr the color ive decided on for the frame is a gray mettalic. I think the color ive decided to do the plastics in is a metallic blue with a candy painted "blaster" logo on the tank.

Let me know what you guys think about my plans

edit: heres a pic of it currently
2012-02-07151448.jpg

not sure why everyone seems to be sandblasting frames these days, the red can with the airplane on it paint stripper, available at most auto stores, works wonders in about a 1/2 hour, brush it on, wait 20 minutes, power wash it right off

and even though i'm not a fan of painted plastics, sounds like you have a nice color scheme going, and no matter what, will be much better than it's condition now !!! LOL

Add on a seat cover to that list of parts! And plastics! No plastics suck balls unless you enjoy dirt and rocks to the face!

Ive got plastics, bought then right before it blew up, there sitting in my room waiting to be painted. Lol

Im going to be buying parts as i go as im always short money. After hearing your toomey, i want one! Lol

not sure why everyone seems to be sandblasting frames these days, the red can with the airplane on it paint stripper, available at most auto stores, works wonders in about a 1/2 hour, brush it on, wait 20 minutes, power wash it right off

and even though i'm not a fan of painted plastics, sounds like you have a nice color scheme going, and no matter what, will be much better than it's condition now !!! LOL

The only reason im sandblasting it is because its free and a learning expierence. Lol

a hell of alot better looking! Lol

Ive got plastics, bought then right before it blew up, there sitting in my room waiting to be painted. Lol

Im going to be buying parts as i go as im always short money. After hearing your toomey, i want one! Lol

Took another vid of the toomey a few minutes ago. About to upload it now!

And following what Awk said, the paint stripper DOES work great. I had an aerosol can of it, and also a quart of it for brushing on. Only problem is, if you apply the aircraft stripper onto an area that has already had the paint removed, the metal will rust. So really, you can only apply it once or twice, otherwise you'd be left with flash rust all over the frame. This is coming from personal experience. Which is why I chose to sandblast my frame which worked WONDERS!

Took another vid of the toomey a few minutes ago. About to upload it now!

And following what Awk said, the paint stripper DOES work great. I had an aerosol can of it, and also a quart of it for brushing on. Only problem is, if you apply the aircraft stripper onto an area that has already had the paint removed, the metal will rust. So really, you can only apply it once or twice, otherwise you'd be left with flash rust all over the frame. This is coming from personal experience. Which is why I chose to sandblast my frame which worked WONDERS!

Yeah, ive got a loud ass pro curcuit pipe and silencer, its nice but id rather have a toomey. Yeah im going to sand blast mine, since im taking the class i get the free stuff to do it so i told the shop teacher im gonna bring it it. Did you prime your frame before spraying the paint?

Yeah, ive got a loud ass pro curcuit pipe and silencer, its nice but id rather have a toomey. Yeah im going to sand blast mine, since im taking the class i get the free stuff to do it so i told the shop teacher im gonna bring it it. Did you prime your frame before spraying the paint?

Yes I did. I used Metal Filler primer, that made the frame nice and smooth. Some areas of the frame were a little rough from the sandblaster, usually because I would blast the sh*t out of the rust spots. The filler primer made it smoother than a baby's ass. I did 2 coats of primer, 3 auto paint, 3 clear coat.

Well, i did a little work, i wanted the "bare metal" look on the clutch cover. Here is a picture, still rough but getting there

2012-04-18220336.jpg

sorry guys ive got the bike already tore down to the bare frame and.... forgot to take pics!

Well boys and girls, men and women, since my top end is out getting bored and hone by oconnor i figured its time to do a "freshen" up! Gonna take alot of pictures. Funny thing is, i talked my mom into(since we live in an apartment) to bring the bike home and put it in the house! Going to disassemble tonight, im going to be sand blasting the old paint off the frame. The frame will be painted in the high school paint booth by me. I believr the color ive decided on for the frame is a gray mettalic. I think the color ive decided to do the plastics in is a metallic blue with a candy painted "blaster" logo on the tank.

Let me know what you guys think about my plans

edit: heres a pic of it currently
2012-02-07151448.jpg

Sounds like a nice color combo!

Alright, a weekend update, not much but i believe its update worthy! Got my parts today for my top end. The cylinder is going to be shipped out to KOR for a bore and hone.

I believe i found out why my top end blew, surprised i didnt blow out a skirt. The piston i had is for a. 40 over bore when it was a measure. 60 over bore. Heres comparison.
2012-04-21175209.jpg

2012-04-21180215.jpg

all packaged up and ready to go to ken. I did end up buvble wrapping everything.

Also im taking the rust off my pipe and polishing it up.

Well, i did a little work, i wanted the "bare metal" look on the clutch cover. Here is a picture, still rough but getting there

2012-04-18220336.jpg

sorry guys ive got the bike already tore down to the bare frame and.... forgot to take pics!

how did u get the paint off?

will it rust now?