My bike is making a weird noise and only starts for a few seconds

connorgottstein

Feb 7, 2011
So ive had this bike for about 2 months and it has always started on the first kick untill yesterday it made a knocking noise then stalled out i tried to restart it and it sounded like metal peices flying everywhere inside the engine and it will only start for a few seconds and thats with the throtle pinned what could be wrong with the bike is it a top or bottom end problem or both

was the bike properly jetted? could be topend and/or bottom end. do a compression test 1st. i would say do a leakdown test also before you tear it down to see why it blew up. if it made all those noises and you dont have compression, its probobly time for a rebuild and inspection.

How easy is it to kick it over also my guess is that one of your bottom end bearings blew and hopefully didn't scar up your cylinder to bad were you running with the correct amount of oil in the tranny and do the metal pieces sound light or heavy.

if you have to tear it down blasters are easy to take apart, remove the seat, remove the gas tank, remove the carb top (TORS Junk Box, or carb cap if TORS is removed), unclamp the carb on both sides and remove it, undo the four reed cage/"intake manifold" bolts and pull out the reed cage, remove spark plug, undo the head nuts/remove head, at this point you should be able to see if there is any damage to the dome of the piston, if there are chunks missing you will obviously need a new piston, you will also have to check the cylinder walls for damage/scoring and you will have to make sure none of the little pieces made their way down into the crank. If the dome shattered lots of things can go wrong with the bottom end as well like little chunks getting into the crank bearings or the lower rod bearing. I have also seen chunks get lodged between the crank and the main cases and punch a hole in the main cases, which is a HUGE problem.

Anyway, after checking the dome, remove the two nuts holding the header on at the front of the cylinder (or springs if you have an aftermarket exhaust), then remove the four nuts holding the cylinder on and slowly and gently pull the cylinder off of the piston, now you should just have the piston and the rod sticking up out of the bottom end and will be able to see any/all damage to the piston (dome or skirt damage). Check the crank chamber for any visible debris like piston chunks and try to fish them out with a magnet or your hands, you want to get as much as you can out in an effort to save the crank. Now with the bike in neutral you should be able to move the rod up and down and turn the crank to see if it still moves freely, it should move nice and smooth and not catch at all. The rod can have a little movement side to side in relation to the crank webs, but should not have any play up and down in the rod bearing.

the metal sound is pretty heavy and ive kept good oil in the bike and its self mixing so im affraid the self mixer quit working and i was running straight gas