My 90 Blaster Rebuild ( First Ever!)

Well Looks like i might get a full day in this weekend on sunday... girlfriend is working and im off... so im going to open up the engine and see what kinda condition everything is in..and start to plan exactly what i should be doing to this engine since its a complete rebuild of the engine anyway to replace the cracked case... Ill be sure to post pics along the way....

When im looking for gasket kits on ebay i see two different ones.... a top end kit... and a complete kit.... but the weird thing is.. i dont see the top end gaskets in the pictures for the complete kit.... could someone direct me towards ebay listings for all the gaskets and seals i will need for the rebuild???

Cheers

Ok so i got some work done today on the engine part... i have a 67.2mm bore looks like on my cylinder....and its in need of a overbore and a new piston... dont have the right flywheel puller to get the flywheel out..and the piston pin doesnt seem to want to come out.... i have some pics im uploading now of the jbweld job done on this engine case.. they used what looks like drywall tape to fix it with the jbweld..... Pics are uploading..

Ok that took forever...cause i had them on my iphone....

Here we go.... a couple shots of what i found when i started to take apart the engine..

f8f27dc3.jpg

08064a12.jpg

331c92c4.jpg

8193160c.jpg

Looks like the pistion pin is stuck...and the bearing is also fubarred.... so we are in for a new pistion and a bore..... on the top end..

Im already in for a set of engine cases... looks like ill need some of the other plastic covers for both sides....

Where im stuck is i need a flywheel puller for this engine...can anyone direct me on how to make one.. or where i can buy one for cheap??

Cheers

the last photo shows some serious rigging (at least to me)... they used drywall tape and JB weld to fix the one engine case side........ you gotta be kidding me.... drywall tape?? maybe im a noob..but that seems retarded..

Well i dunno.. maybe thats standard... but im my mind.... if you gotta bust out the drywall tape to fix your engine... maybe its time to either buy a new engine.. or at least the part that is broken.... good thing i bought both engine cases instead of just the one side.....

This weekend looks promising for getting some more work done... i was quoted $60 to get the cylinder bored here in town..... so now i gotta order the replacement piston so i can have it bored... just need to figure out how much i wanna bore it...

Cheers

Can someone point me in the direction of the proper set of gaskets id need to rebuild both the top and bottom end... on ebay i guess is the easiest and cheapest that will ship to canada..inless someone know a better place....

Taking the cylinder to a place locally to get bored.. they said $60 and they need the piston first.. Also bought the flywheel puller off ebay so i can continue to get into the bottom end..

Any help greatly appreciated..

Cheers

Well im diggin this baby back from tha dead...... With the help of fellow blasterforum brother whitty.... we will be tackling this baby one more time...

Pick up the Wiseco piston on kijiji for $70 brand new.... which saved me a little bit... now to just get the top end bored and honed.... i was quoted $60 for that service... seem about right to you guys??

Well im diggin this baby back from tha dead...... With the help of fellow blasterforum brother whitty.... we will be tackling this baby one more time...

Pick up the Wiseco piston on kijiji for $70 brand new.... which saved me a little bit... now to just get the top end bored and honed.... i was quoted $60 for that service... seem about right to you guys??

I'm glad you're going for it man!
I'd say that's about right.

if there are ant stock parts you need for this just let me know as i have a bunch laying around that my wife said to find a home for lol

Im sure there are a few things i could use.... thanks for the offer..
when they come up ill be sure to pm you..

Cheers

Raising this baby from the DEAD!!!!!!

So a small update...

Got piston and top end to engine shop.. piston was too small..the top end was pretty pooched, needed to go from 67.2mm to 68mm even.... had to buy a new piston again for $100.... was $75 for the engine service, they also threw in the missing head nut thing...... this weekend i started into the wire wheel on the exhaust... got most the surface rust off.. but its very badly blacked on the metal under the rust... so ill need to research the next step to bring that back to life...

also started into the front brakes awk sent... i need to figure out how to get the spindles off my old set and onto the set awk sent..and i cant get my brakes open..

help and or suggestions on any of those issues??

Thanks again rtaylor.. do you have a steering stem.. mine is also bent..

Cheers

Raising this baby from the DEAD!!!!!!

So a small update...

Got piston and top end to engine shop.. piston was too small..the top end was pretty pooched, needed to go from 67.2mm to 68mm even.... had to buy a new piston again for $100.... was $75 for the engine service, they also threw in the missing head nut thing...... this weekend i started into the wire wheel on the exhaust... got most the surface rust off.. but its very badly blacked on the metal under the rust... so ill need to research the next step to bring that back to life...

also started into the front brakes awk sent... i need to figure out how to get the spindles off my old set and onto the set awk sent..and i cant get my brakes open..

help and or suggestions on any of those issues??

Thanks again rtaylor.. do you have a steering stem.. mine is also bent..

Cheers

i had that problem, i just took the sledge as mentiond be4 , and can you sell that piston to someone else on ebay for money lol, also you might want to invest in a bottle of anti-seize to prevent that kinda stuff in the future, when ur putin stuff back together put some anit-seize on the threads... works like a charm lol i just wouldnt put it on my head tho.... so if you havent already, it would be a good idea

So where exactly do i sledge hammer??? Just seems weird I don't need to remove any nuts or bolts or anything and those brake/hubs come apart????

So where exactly do i sledge hammer??? Just seems weird I don't need to remove any nuts or bolts or anything and those brake/hubs come apart????

i just hammerd the drums lol, i was in the middle of the break conversion so i was getting shee calipers anyway lol and it didnt seem to do any damage to the hubs but i didnt check the inside b/c i was so tirerd of looking at drums lol