Luis Manuel 240Vito Bad sound and vibration?

79 bronco

Moderator & Self Custom Psycho
Staff member
Apr 9, 2010
I don"t know???????
Our Blaster Buddy Luis Manuel is having problems with his 240 Vito, he is have a vibration and noise at idle. He has a 32mm lectron carb, timing advance 5 deegres, 4ml strocker!

I dont know much about the 240 Vito? Is this common for it?

This is his video! I dont like the sound!

Reactions: Luis Manuel
if this is for real.....never can tell from a cheetos keyboard :)

I'd turn the timing back to zero to see if it helps.
is that the proper 2mm thick spacer & gaskets ?
what head gasket was used ?
then onto removing top end and checking piston/cylinder clearence

Hello, its have vitos 240 spacer and gasket, I chek the clearence pistón and head and its good.

Im running 4 degree timing advance on my CT240 with a 4mm stroker, and i am getting a little bit of a pinging knocking sound when i let off the throttle after im riding the throttle hard. I was told by other Ct240 riders that that had the same problem and to go back to 2 1/2 to 2 degree timing advance!

So im guessing the same may go with the Vito 240?

Luis....what's the compression ?
And what octane fuel are you running ?

Luis....what's the compression ?
And what octane fuel are you running ?
It has:
125 psi compression.
89 octane fuel.
2 degree

I Changed It from 5 degrees to 2 degrees and Its still vibrating.

Last edited:
It has:
125 psi compression.
89 octane fuel.
2 degree

I Changed It from 5 degrees to 2 degrees and Its still vibrating.

try running higher octane fuel.

what head gasket ? ......for a big bore or a standard bore gasket ?
(we've seen pistons catching gaskets)

was the bottom end apart too ? i'll assume so, for the +crank
were the 2 dots aligned on the output gear and balancer gear ? if not it'll vibrate like hell

try running higher octane fuel.

what head gasket ? ......for a big bore or a standard bore gasket ?
(we've seen pistons catching gaskets)

was the bottom end apart too ? i'll assume so, for the +crank
were the 2 dots aligned on the output gear and balancer gear ? if not it'll vibrate like hell

I have a Vito head gasket for a big bore 240, new crankshaft hot roads 4ml with spacer In perfect conditions and the 2 dots aligned. Can u guys tell me how to cut the head cylinder and how to port , for go to a Machine shop.

Reactions: Awk08
Can u guys tell me how to cut the head cylinder and how to port

if this is your first time trying to port, I highly suggest you don't do it on a $600 bbk cylinder.
things can go bad in a hurry.

most of send our stuff to ken oconnor racing....
http://kenoconnorracing.com/

ken does sale templates to help home porting, and has a video series on his youtube channel showing how to port a blaster cylinder using the templates....
https://www.youtube.com/user/kenoconnorracing

but I still say don't do it to a brand new BBK cylinder your first try

luis has purchased a leakdown tester from me, in those conversations we got into more of this discussion.
I figured it'd be good to paste those posts in here in case this thread resumes, everyone is on the same page,
and maybe someone else has more ideas about all of this

TalKing about my 240 engine, I think that needs a cylinder cut, New pistón size, Rob from RDZ racing tell me that I have to cut the head .050. Whats your opinion.

you can determine if you need a new piston/bore with a set of feeler gauges (video below)
this is what I meant in your thread when I said "piston to cylinder clearence".....

how many hours are on it ?

Only 5 hours, this noise in the video its not good.

were the cases relieved for the + crank ?
that has to be checked in a mock assembly
alot of times + cranks will make slight contact with the cases where the rod enters up into the cylinder
the engine must be mock assembled and checked to see if the rod is making contact in these areas, I think ken uses modeling clay in there to see what the rod is doing after a few revolution by hand, the cylinder and piston must also be on to do this.
then disassembled, cases ground down if contact is being made, then check again, and final assembly.
this sucks to do because the whole bottom end must be assembled a couple times,
leave the transmission, clutch, head, ect. off, until final assembly
just assemble the crank and mains, then piston and cylinder, to do the revolutions and checks.
+ cranks can/will hit the cases in these areas.......

crank.jpg

I forget mention that this noise and vibrations only do more in idle.
After install the first day we have to cut the vito piston 10mls because it touch the crankcase in the lower so go to the machine Shop and they works with the piston.
Today im going to chek the rod and let you know.

I have only ever heard of needing to cut the piston skirt when ken built a +6mm crank
never on any +3 or +4 build
watch this vid, Ken starts talking about piston hitting cases at the bottom and rod interference at around 7 minutes in.....

one more thing just came to mind....were the cases trenched for the +4 crank ?
(that can be seen in the above video also)
if so was it double checked for rod clearence to the cases in the bottom with another mock assembly ?

With the stock head dont do the vibration and noise its begin with the vito 240.

sounds like the vito 240 head needs modified to accept the piston coming up out of the cylinder that could occur with the +4 crank, the spacer plate is supposed to correct this ?

you mentioned above that RDZ said to cut .50 off the head, that will just compound the problem further, it needs properly modified with a reshaped combustion chamber and squish band, not just shaved down !

can you check your squish clearence ?
don't force it to rotate if it binds up, from what your saying with the vitos head, the piston is maybe making contact with the head and it needs modified.
but ????.....are we sure this is a 2mm thick spacerplate/gasket setup for +4mm crank ?
or possible thats a +3 crank spacer plate ?
total thickness of spacer plate and both gaskets ?

Reactions: jus_me
good stuff doug,
lets show him what he's looking at

trenched bottom of cases
machined or ground out

trenched.jpg

Today shave the head and comprenssion up to 160 psi, next I need to work with the bottom. Thanks Very Much to all!!

Bad news the noise continues but much stronger than before modifyng the head because it has more compression.

Today shave the head and comprenssion up to 160 psi, next I need to work with the bottom. Thanks Very Much to all!!

Bad news the noise continues but much stronger than before modifyng the head because it has more compression.

I posted above that you cannot just shave the head, forget about what RDZ told you, he is wrong !
the combustion chamber itself and squish band need modified also, or risk piston contact and/or detonation (pre-ignition).
160psi compression requires 93 octane fuel to combat detonation.

Reactions: jus_me