My first blaster build

Niko

Oct 11, 2015
Mass
Hey there everyone new to this forum but i just picked up my first blaster! So the story behind this bike is that someone blew the to end and sent it to a shop to get the top end done. Well this said person never went to pay/pick up their bike so after two year that shop sold the blaster to my buddy for the price it took to fix ($250). My buddy brought it home and just let it sit in the garage for about 8 months without touching it and I asked him one day to sell it to me.. long story short i got a 2000 blaster with a fresh top end for $200!!

So the first thing I did to the bike before even hearing it run was an 03+ spindle/brake setup i found on craigslist in really good condition for $100

After that I pulled off the carb gave it a good cleaning and then tried to start it. I had no spark so I tried a different coil but still no spark then i tested the stator and it was giving me power so i was stuck scratching my head.. Then I learned all about TORS and immediately unpluged it and ended up with spark! Finally I got it going it runs really nice except it wont idle cant seem to figure that out but im going to pull the carb off again and make sure my pilot isnt dirty. Well i had ended up buying a new coil/stator for it anyway since it was sitting for 3 years and tank god I did the old stator was gross and all corroded but got that all cleaned and replaced and also did the "timing advance".

One night I was talking to my girlfriends brother who used to race his yf450 in gncc and he ended uo giving me a set of rear hubs and a full set of hiper bead locks for free!

So this is where im at right now. Took the quad out for the first time and was very pleased with the power coming from an aircooled 200. The bike does have a full fmf exhaust which im sure helps alot and it also has the most horrible excuse for an oil block off ive ever seen but with lots of parts on order right now im sure this will end up being a fun little project.

That is awesome. You practically stole that thing at that priceven and condition.

Make sure you do a leak down test as soon as you can and read up how to plug chop if you're unfamiliar. mentioning it just in case because that is coming along great for so cheap you might as well do all you can to protect and keep it cheap!
Fmfs are decent pipes, just started using one recently.
I'm leaning towards handlebars and nerfs soon, get yourself some shiny nerf bars to match those wheels!

Reactions: jvb
Nice Blaster, but that thing has been beaten up in it's life looking at the front bumper:D

thats a nice deal
and the car is even better:D
welcome....
niko1.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guys! This is just a fun little project just cause I love modifying stuff but my main project is my mini buggy build so this might get thrown on the back burner every now and then.

But anyway back to the build. So I got a set of destroyed heel guards. I forget what brand they are but i was told they are pretty hard to find. Well the were beaten to all hell where they mount on the foot pegs. I was able to straighten one plate out but there was no hope for the other one so I cut a new one on the waterjet at work then tig welded it on.

I obviously knew they werent going to fit what so ever seeing as they are off of a yfz 450

A little cutting and welding and we got some mounts.

Also added some gussets honestly for looks but they may help strengthen it.

And the finished product! (i know one of my pegs is bent)

So now I wait for all my parts to come in but heres some stuff I have leftover from my old 05 kfx400 that I used as a doner for my buggy build. Ill be eventually modifying the stem to fit the blaster. It almost looks like it could fit right on with little modification but I wont know till I pull it all apart.

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: jvb and Herpderplol
I mounted up my bumper today off my old kfx. Its like a shaft collar mounting design so its pretty adjustable but I had to make two new mounts for it to work.

I went to work early today and just drew up the new mounts on CAD then cut them out on the waterjet.

Here you can see the new mounts next to the old stubby ones that wouldnt work

I then mocked it all up on the frame, drilled some holes, and welded on some weldnuts.

And the finished product!

Unfortunately working on my blaster got cut short because my buddy came by with his new to him blaster so I could help him change out his axle bearings.. WOW WHAT A PITA!!!

Reactions: speedyslyder
Hey guys so I had alittle time today so I started on my anti vibe steering stem. I made it about and 1-1/2" taller than stock. I feel like it is perfect height with my fatbars.

As you can tell all I did was cut off the bottom of the stock stem, trim the kfx400 stem, and just weld the two together also gusseted just for a little more strength.

Reactions: speedyslyder
I cant wait to test it out it was just an uncomfortable mess before with the old stem/handlebars hopefully my new front end will make it a whole new quad.. Just waiting on parts to make it all happen.

Yes the stem helps a lot. Like Bronco said, " a steering stabilizer?" They are an amazing upgrade to your atv. I went with one, and will never go back.

Both those items together with some nice shocks, and your flying!

Yes the stem helps a lot. Like Bronco said, " a steering stabilizer?" They are an amazing upgrade to your atv. I went with one, and will never go back.

Both those items together with some nice shocks, and your flying!

Well i already got the stem, bars, a arms, and shocks that i upgraded but i never had a steering stabilizer.. This is my first quad to be honest all I ride is dirtbikes and never thought about a steering stabilizer on my crf250r