low compression

heyketz

Jan 18, 2011
I have a chance to pick up a 93 blaster for $300.00. Owners swears it was running good and all of a sudden quit running and won't start. He checked compression and it is very low. Besides pistons rings any ideas what else could be wrong and causing low compression.

could be a blown head gasket letting the compression out.

if you buy it, the FIRST thing to do would be to do a leakdown test on it.

neither of those should cause bad compression readings, but I would definitely check them out while you poke around it.

if the rest of it is in good shape, 300 bucks isn't too bad of a deal

The only things I noticed that were missing are the grab bar, taillight and the oil injection. The rest of it is all there. Fenders are black and tank is orange. Seat is orange with a two inch rip in it. Any ideas what a rebuild would cost.

If you were looking at a blaster with low compression and not starting what would you look for as to the reason and would you pay $300.00 for it?

I would check to make sure all of the bearings were good, check the overall condition of the bike. also, I would ask to do a compression check, check to see if it is getting spark as well. see if it has good tires on it, check over the cables, if the oil tank is missing, make sure that they did the block off correctly, see if it has a different carb on it, or any other mods that it may have