KTM 250CC Project

May 18, 2012
Scotland
Hi Guys well i picked up the new toy ;) Ktm 250cc 1996 approx.

it has what i believe is a aftermarket rear shock,excel rear rim,Kehlin carb(if thats how you spell it lol) hydro brakes. this is going to be new to me as never dealt with a 250 lol barrel is one big muthaf**cker same with piston!! lol

KTM nice, looks like it is going to be a nice project. It does look like everything is there. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

KTM nice, looks like it is going to be a nice project. It does look like everything is there. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks Mate! hopefully it all goes well :) never dealt with a ktm or a 250 before :p lol need to get use to kicking it once i have it up and running hhaa, it is actually missing stuff. guy told me though before i went.

i need
Exhaust (going for a FMF System from rocky mountain :) )
Needs Side Panels But Guy said I can Get new plastics and a petrol tank from Ufo? for like £60/$100 and i need a tank also so i might as well do that. but going to send the frame number and engine number to a dealer tomorrow and get the exact year. think it might have been imported at one point as the forks have Calfornia highway written on them? its a clean frame though even has the original Frame Plate with the Vin :) be a nice project and won't need as much as my rm as i can't afford to do the rm right now so il do this the now and do the rm next year or when i get a job lol.

nice project? those things rip a$$.. hold on tight !!!!!!! how is it going with the Rm??? don't short yourself with to many projects.. all work no play isn't so good for the soul..

nice project? those things rip a$$.. hold on tight !!!!!!! how is it going with the Rm??? don't short yourself with to many projects.. all work no play isn't so good for the soul..

haha! well things have taken a turn for the best i think on my side. i have decided to part out the rm well whats there. as i can't really afford to do the work it needs unless i was too find a job. but at this point i can't afford it plus i have a feeling once i have the ktm up and running i might not want to ride the 125. guy i bought the ktm from was a really nice guy though he has even offered if im stuck with anything or my grandad needs help with his car he will do it as he is fully qualified car mechanic and he does welding etc :)

looks more like a bike now :) got to do the following.
Check Clutch On Engine
New Gaskets
New Piston Kit
Get A FMF Exhaust System
Petrol Tank
New Plastics

then im ready to rip :D

i cant find the engine number on it but im not sure if its under all the dirt or im looking at wrong place as i don't have a clue about these 250s haha

hi guys just ran vin. its a 1990. unsure whether its a sx or EXC as the decoder i used didn't tell me all that but iv emailed a ktm dealer :) worked out better as its cheaper for the fmf system for the 1990 :D

Yikes! that water pump bearing looks nasty. Just one quicky mate, be sure to get the bore measured and checked to see if its out of round, that way you can get the right size piston kit and if it needs boring then you will know that before you have spent any money on parts. Also honing is essential if your changing the piston and/or rings to allow them to bed in to the cylinder correctly. Good luck with the project though man !!

dont ya mean gas tank :p

haha same thing ;) lol

Yikes! that water pump bearing looks nasty. Just one quicky mate, be sure to get the bore measured and checked to see if its out of round, that way you can get the right size piston kit and if it needs boring then you will know that before you have spent any money on parts. Also honing is essential if your changing the piston and/or rings to allow them to bed in to the cylinder correctly. Good luck with the project though man !!

thanks man! trying to hunt down the bearing for it but ebay hasn't got any can hardly find any engine parts for it :(

Is that a steel clutch basket?
It looks in great shape.
You have got to use the proper sealer and less of it. ThreeBond 1194.

I have a bunch of KTMs, a 125, 300 and 380 and a 250 engine in a Blaster frame.
Even a 1990 is still a hot and capable bike and fully rebuildable.
The SEM ignition system was prone to occasional failure but if it works, it works.
If it fails you can swap in a 1997 or later Kukusan flywheel, stator and CDI.

I really like my 125, sort of a rider`s machine. Gotta be in the right gear to get the power out of it. The bigger engines are crazy powerful. KTM was way ahead of the game back in 1990 in both power, reliability and handling so if you have any riding skills at all you will be able to hang with your buddies on their new bikes, no problem. Shocks are rebuildable, I have an aftermarket oversize tank on my 125. IMS and Clarke make them, sell on Ebay. Pipes are a wear item, especially if you do rocks and log crossings.

Looks like it has newer upside-down front shocks on it. I actually like the pre-1999 style shocks. The chrome piston shaft is up by the handlebars and protected. The 2000-newer type has the chrome shaft down near the wheel and needs a plastic shock guard to protect from rock dings.

Cylinder is nikicyl lined, so if it is in good condition you just keep installing stock sized pistons. Tough stuff, as long as you run an air cleaner and don`t blow up a bearing. Most of the bearings in the engine are standard sizes. Look at the number on it and pick it up at a bearing suppliers, hardware or automotive store. KTM keeps a lot on commonality in its engine line, for example, with modification,s a 2013 300cc cylinder can still be used on your 1990 block. Most cylinders and cranks up to 2003 are drop-in. I do believe the engine mounts up to 2003 are all the same on the 250-300-360-380. KTM made some changed in 2003-2004 by shortening up the engine case and angling the cylinder, but most of the parts fit the same bolt patterns and will interchange. So lots of room to mix and match if you want to upgrade.

Good luck!

Steve

Is that a steel clutch basket?
It looks in great shape.
You have got to use the proper sealer and less of it. ThreeBond 1194.

I have a bunch of KTMs, a 125, 300 and 380 and a 250 engine in a Blaster frame.
Even a 1990 is still a hot and capable bike and fully rebuildable.
The SEM ignition system was prone to occasional failure but if it works, it works.
If it fails you can swap in a 1997 or later Kukusan flywheel, stator and CDI.

I really like my 125, sort of a rider`s machine. Gotta be in the right gear to get the power out of it. The bigger engines are crazy powerful. KTM was way ahead of the game back in 1990 in both power, reliability and handling so if you have any riding skills at all you will be able to hang with your buddies on their new bikes, no problem. Shocks are rebuildable, I have an aftermarket oversize tank on my 125. IMS and Clarke make them, sell on Ebay. Pipes are a wear item, especially if you do rocks and log crossings.

Looks like it has newer upside-down front shocks on it. I actually like the pre-1999 style shocks. The chrome piston shaft is up by the handlebars and protected. The 2000-newer type has the chrome shaft down near the wheel and needs a plastic shock guard to protect from rock dings.

Cylinder is nikicyl lined, so if it is in good condition you just keep installing stock sized pistons. Tough stuff, as long as you run an air cleaner and don`t blow up a bearing. Most of the bearings in the engine are standard sizes. Look at the number on it and pick it up at a bearing suppliers, hardware or automotive store. KTM keeps a lot on commonality in its engine line, for example, with modification,s a 2013 300cc cylinder can still be used on your 1990 block. Most cylinders and cranks up to 2003 are drop-in. I do believe the engine mounts up to 2003 are all the same on the 250-300-360-380. KTM made some changed in 2003-2004 by shortening up the engine case and angling the cylinder, but most of the parts fit the same bolt patterns and will interchange. So lots of room to mix and match if you want to upgrade.

Good luck!

Steve

awesome man thanks!! a guy on ebay has a tank and he also supplied me a company called dual sport over in the uk that might be able to get me parts for it :) im unsure on the basket but i was wondering is it ment to be like that? like looks likes been rubbing againest something and its worn the outside but not sure if its ment to be like that or not lol