kehin carb

yamerhammer00

Jul 27, 2010
cottonwood falls, ks
I got a kehin carb for alittle of nothing and i know very little of these carbs, it has pj stamped into the side. Guessing it came off a dirt bike (twist throttle). Have no idea what size it is. He had a couple 125s layin around im wonderin if thats what the carb is off of and could i put it on my blaster. The engine side of carb fits into boot. If anyone has any advise im listening.

measure the ID of the carb on the engine side, that'll tell you what size it is

you can put the carb on but you'll need to jet it and get a cable to fit

jetsrus.com has great prices on jets

do a little research around here to figure out a good starting point, then do plug chops or get an EGT to dial it in

measure the ID of the carb on the engine side, that'll tell you what size it is

you can put the carb on but you'll need to jet it and get a cable to fit

Its alredy got a twist throttle on it. It measures 34.78 ID. With a 68 slow jet, 142 main, and R1470N needle. Clip is at top of needle.
None of this makes since to me b/c i dont know if i need to go up or down. I looked at jetsrus and had no idea what i was looking for. Im jus getin into this carb stuff, lucky enuf to get it back together with no spare parts left over.

if your just gettin this back together i'd stay with the stock carb for now, then after break in and some more research and knowledge about this carb trade it out
how on earth did you get a 34/35 mm carb to fit into a stock boot without a dremel tool ????

but anyway, im running a highly modded motor and heres my settings for my 34mm pj carb, these may make a good starting point for you to work your way down???
if in fact it's a 34mm pj????...............

45 pilot jet, airscrew somewhere under 2 turns out
"dgh" needle, clip in the middle
155 main jet

if your just gettin this back together i'd stay with the stock carb for now, then after break in and some more research and knowledge about this carb trade it out
how on earth did you get a 34/35 mm carb to fit into a stock boot without a dremel tool ????

but anyway, im running a highly modded motor and heres my settings for my 34mm pj carb, these may make a good starting point for you to work your way down???
if in fact it's a 34mm pj????...............

45 pilot jet, airscrew somewhere under 2 turns out
"dgh" needle, clip in the middle
155 main jet

The PJ measured 34.78mm ID and stock measured 27.96mm ID on digi calipers it slipped right in kinda tight, didnt split boot either. I compared them together and the stock is smaller.

Last edited:
I thought i had it goin good but the more i ride the worse it gets. its fowled 10 plugs in three days. run a plug chop and its fine, after an hour or so fowls plug. pulled the head, piston is completely black and wet. Ive stripped the entire carb back down and heres what its got in it. 1470n needle top clip, 148 main, 45 pilot, 68 slide. no matter which way i go on main or pilot its still way too rich. im runnin a b8es plug, and wonderin if i ran a 9es plug would tht help on not. im also getting a dgh needle. any one got any tips or ideas as to whats going on?

Start with a smaller pilot jet, say a 40 or 35.

I'm going to assume you did a full-throttle type of plug chop, good plug color would seem to indicate the main is in the right area.

Try the DGH needle on the third step.

How is the idle? Are you using the Idle Speed knob or holding the slide open with a tight cable.

Start with a smaller pilot jet, say a 40 or 35.

I'm going to assume you did a full-throttle type of plug chop, good plug color would seem to indicate the main is in the right area.

Try the DGH needle on the third step.

How is the idle? Are you using the Idle Speed knob or holding the slide open with a tight cable.

Ive read up on the plug chop post, went out on a asphalt road with very little incline, stoped, put in brand new plug, kicked once fired up, sat for 10secs and and hauled ass through all 6 grears, held 6th for 10sec, pulled clutch, kill switch,closed throttle. stoped changed back to old plug went to do chop. very ritch , base of porcelain was burnt black, tip was black and not soaking wet but moist, grounding stem base was black.
It idles fine, speed knob is about 2.5 -2 3/4 turns out. the throttle cable has play in it. every once in a great wile itll hang in the high rev for a sec but quits as i ride it. i think thats in the cable, im going to lube it and see if it quits, when ever im out running around im 3/4 to full throttle. and only running short distances.

What mods do you have? It could be too much carb.

Uni clamp on filter, keihin PJ34, VF3 reeds, (how ever thick the stock reed cage is) spacer between reeds and engine. intake dremeled to fit carb. (spacer i cut the a-frame flush with the flange and sanded down to flush then polished. LRD adj. header. FmF silencer. oil inj. tors both removed. the bore is stock i think or .020 over reading 66.54mm on digis. towards front of jug is alittle more. no markings on piston, we done a comp. test an hour ago got 100 psi (good or bad?) before the head was pulled to determine bore.

also performed leak check and found no leaks. held 7psi for well over 10 mins and didnt drop any pressure
what gets me is itl start and run fine for 3 or 4 runs after 4th run i gotta change plugs. It runs strong as hell, tries to pull front wheels up in third. idles fine, revs higher than hell cleanly, sputtering or missing taking off, no sputtering through the power band, screams in the topend.

Last edited: