im screwed

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
welll finally got some me time so i was going to put the blaster together i was putting on the flywheel and was torqing it to 53 ft pounds got it to about 40 and it striped! the threads look flatend but i dont see any breaks in the thread. what do i do now?? please help. if any one could tell me the size of the threads on there i could retread it maybe?:-/

dont know why i didnt think of that i will go check now.

they look squiched just like on the crank:(

the nut will go on but as soon as it starts to tighten it breaks loose again.

any thoughts guys or am i just sol

anybody know the thread size of the crank so i can go over it with a dye cutter?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tips of the threads are missing on the shaft a die will not do any good, what is gone is gone.

Sounds like someone has gone wild with an impact gun, sometime before you got it.

Or the nut has been crossthreaded.

Some threading dies are split and have a adjustment screw on them. I have rethreaded the crank (on other bikes and snowmobiles) with the die thread backed off just enough to clean out the thread. Then I made myself a new nut, boring the thread out tighter than normal in a lathe rather than using a tap. Lathe cut threads are not as strong as factory threaded hardware, so you have to be more than normally careful about torque settings.

I worked in a machine shop so I had this option available to me for only the cost of my labour. I'd guess it would cost you more than a crank to get this done in a shop.

Alternatively, if you can clean up the threads on the crank with an adjustable die as described (or even a thread file), you can crimp a new nut in a vice enough to grab the threads. Again, this is a weak expedient, so you have to be careful of torque. Not a good repair, but a "getcha thru".

Steve

BEST. i am in a machine trades class for high school so if u could go more in depth on a way i could fix this it would be a big help for me and my wallet!!!

the nut grabs the treads now but as soon as it gets any kind of torque it breaks loose. but i was looking at it and its only in the middle of the crank threads, the front are good and so is the back of the threads

BEST. i am in a machine trades class for high school so if u could go more in depth on a way i could fix this it would be a big help for me and my wallet!!!

This is the type of die you want (in the right size and thread pitch M12x1.25???):

images

Note the adjustment screw just visible in split. Screw it in just enough so you can thread the die over the crank threads by hand, then back that screw off just enough to clean up the threads. You do not want to cut deep, so go careful here. Use cutting oil of course.

If you were able to clean the threads up without touching the bottom of the thread, you may get by with just a new nut. With the crank thread crests damaged this arrangement is still weak so retorque carefully. Remember, oil or locktite lubes the threads (which is good) so you want to run to the low side of the torque spec.

If the die cuts into the root of the crank thread you pretty much have no choice but need and undersized nut. Two ways to do this:
1) Start with an undersized nut. I believe it has to be 14mm or 9/16" to fit in the hole anyway, so a NF or NC3/8 nut will do. I believe the crank is M12 x 1.25? So drill or bore the nut 10.75mm (or smaller) and cut the thread to fit the crank. Since you don't want to take the nut out of the lathe and the engine is too awkward to try in the nut, thread a bolt or stud with your adjusted down die and use it to try in the nut.
2) Buy a new nut from Yamaha,

images

And and squeeze it in a vice, like where these dimples are:
(this is a lock nut and the dimple is a punch mark to tighten the thread)

images
images

Or flattened like this factory made locknut:

images

Then CAREFULLY reassemble your flywheel. You might want to write a note on the flywheel or inside the cover in case you sell of forget what you did.

thanks best!! i really appreciate the help. just a couple q when u say retorque carfully how do i do about doing that lol. also what should i torqe to? and i own 2 blaster so i pulled the flywheel off the other just to compare( im a show me tell me kind of guy) and figured out the nuts are diffrent! the one on the running one looke like the stock one but the other looks more like the one that u said tightens on the threads except without the punch mark. the yamaha nut dosnt fit on the blaster with the messed up crank thread? the nut that was on it fits on the running one but the threads are loose. is there any way i can tell thread size with dial caliper as thats all i have at home untill i go to school tommorow.the stock nut seems to get stuck after less the a 1/4 turn.