I know why

sc0r1a

Jun 11, 2009
Ohio
I now know why all you guys still have your blaster because when I had mine it was a... "blast" to ride good over all little quad with a little bit of work done and most importantly.. they're cheep to fix!
Estimated grand total of fixing my 450r.... 1500! FML!!!

yes this is just the top end... Hopefully there wont be a next time... I bought it used so what can you expect

ummm... what happened?

it should never cost 1,000 to do a top-end....

If you're doing a complete top end it will. New cam, valves, guides, ect, ect, ect...... I talked to mumms about the 450 4pokes and he said a complete top end is about $1200

The 4 wheeler is 7 years old and I'd be willing to bet it has never had a tune up or anything done to the motor. It was just old and tired.
Everything from the rod up is being replaced so lucky me.

i did my top end in my yfz for 250??

guessing that's the bore and piston alone....how were the springs, guides, cam, valves? did tey all check out perfect? or were they checked at all? timing chain ok? the guides for the chain ok?

Stop grenading engines and it won't cost so much.

TJ and myself have rebuilt 450 top ends for $250-350. Really not much different than a 2 stroke minus the extra gaskets and piston size and sometimes valve springs if need be. Other than that, you shouldn't be replacing valves in most cases and rods unless you really f*cked it up.

guessing that's the bore and piston alone....how were the springs, guides, cam, valves? did tey all check out perfect? or were they checked at all? timing chain ok? the guides for the chain ok?

I springs for the YFZ I rebuilt were within spec, but we swapped in Kibblewhites anyways. Everything else was fine. Cleaned up the titanium valves a bit and reused them

The guy i talked to seemed real honest, and said the top of the motor has a lot of hours and is worn out. I'm going to swing over to the dealer sometime, unannounced to check it out. They said to come by anytime to see whats going on with it. I'm also supposed to get a box of my old parts, everything down to the gaskets.

yup everything was checked by my builder .diddnt need a re-bore the valves did have to be re-seated though

The guy i talked to seemed real honest, and said the top of the motor has a lot of hours and is worn out. I'm going to swing over to the dealer sometime, unannounced to check it out. They said to come by anytime to see whats going on with it. I'm also supposed to get a box of my old parts, everything down to the gaskets.

Just save yourself the rapesauce and do the top end yourself.

4 stroke rebuilds=relatively inexpensive
4 stroke rebuilds+labor=anal rape

I guess it's not too much different with 2 strokes. The first time I sent my Blaster out for a rebuild, it was $450, the bore was out of round, and I got shafted 8 ways from sunday.........live and learn.

Just save yourself the rapesauce and do the top end yourself.

4 stroke rebuilds=relatively inexpensive
4 stroke rebuilds+labor=anal rape

I guess it's not too much different with 2 strokes. The first time I sent my Blaster out for a rebuild, it was $450, the bore was out of round, and I got shafted 8 ways from sunday.........live and learn.

i can do pretty much anything but valves lol

I had planned on doing it myself with a buddies help but he said it would be best to send it to Honda and have the experts do it.

I had planned on doing it myself with a buddies help but he said it would be best to send it to Honda and have the experts do it.

LOL at "experts"..........who knows......maybe they are.......but quite a few of them have been clueless from my experiences with 2 stealerships and a couple private shops.

Become your own expert. I:I