I broke it AGAIN!! >:o

pringle9666

Nov 13, 2011
So I was just riding normal, not even beating the sh*t out of it really. I was cruising in second gear and all of the sudden i heard a pop and grinding and its intermittent, seems to be like every few rotations of the chain/tires/axle/brake rotor etc... i first thought i got a rock stuck in the brakes. nope. then i noticed as i pushed it (trying to see where the sound and binding were coming from) the chain would sometimes, but not every time get really tight or loose. now that im starting to take it apart its binding really bad and really hard to even turn the rear wheels. any ideas what i did now?!!? im thinking a bearing!?!?! thanks in advance!!

You might have blown the piston skirt off and it could be grinding up inside the cases, affecting everything down there. I would probably not move the engine at all. Take the cylinder off and see what the piston looks like just to be safe. If the skirt shattered, looks like your going to have to split the cases and clean them out.

the engine still runs great. its definately in the rear... im new to the whole 4 wheeler thing. usually a car guy lol. how do you get to the carrier bearings

Jack up the rear , give em a spin , you will soon know if the bearings are shot. remove the axle to access the bearings.

You could have broke a tooth or two off the front sprocket if the chain was stretched.

im wondering how to remove the axle i guess... lol. do i have to loosen those 2 huge 2inch nuts?! what else do i need to remove?

the axle does not turn freely at all. ive got both rear wheels off. somethings binding in the rear. how do you suggest to get the chain off?! i know.. basic but im knew :p

im getting a blank page from that link. but anyways the rear hub is off.. id have to remove the chain to pull the axle out correct? and nothing with those nuts?

you want me to read all that?!?! haha just kidding thanks though i appreciate the help ill yet you guys know what i find out

Slicker has it covered with the service manual, and I'd start by reading that.

Here's the rear axle removal procedure in short:

-Remove both rear wheels and hubs.
-Loosen and remove both of the large axle nuts.
-Unbolt the rear axle sprocket from its mounting hub and slide the chain off the sprocket.
-Knock the axle out with a sledge hammer. When standing behind the Blaster, the axle slides out to the right. (Towards the brake rotor/hub). DO NOT hit the axle directly with the hammer, or you'll damage the threads on the end. Slip a section of scrap steel pipe or an old socket over the threads prior to knocking it free.
-Once the axle is out, you can see and remove the carrier bearings.

thaaaaaaaats the advice i needed. i just wanted someone to talk stupid to me so i could understand it lol! thanks again i appreciate it!!

the axle does not turn freely at all. ive got both rear wheels off. somethings binding in the rear. how do you suggest to get the chain off?! i know.. basic but im knew :p

Don't be so cheap, buy a Clymers repair manual or find a download. While you have it apart put a grease zerk in it. I:I

all i can say is good luck man, the ass end on these things can be a biotch, that asxle will likely be in there tighter than an nuns "you know what". Pic k yourself a set of nice bearings, oem, all balls to name a few. be carefull not to puncture the seal on the new bearings too. Make sure you have the inside of the carrier all snoothed, cleaned and grease before re-instalation

Some good advice from Brraaaptor and others there... but from what you're telling us its seems you might have seizure/bearing failure in the carrier there.

In this case your best bet would be to remove the entire carrier from the swingarm (remove the 2 long bolts, the chain adjusters and unbolt brake caliper). This will allow you to handle the axle/carrier assembly more easily and let you get some decent whacks onto it with a big hammer so it all comes loose.

Be prepared for some hard work - getting the axle an carrier to separate after the bearings have failed is quite frustrating! Usually some pieces of wood come in handy so you dont have to hit metal to metal and damage the carrier or axle