I broke it AGAIN!! >:o

It is more than likely that a bearing has exploded and the grease seals and balls are jamming progress. When you whack it on the wood try to rotate the axle one way and then the other with pipe grips ,to try to find a spot where it runs a little freely.

This is possibly the spot where you should concentrate the majority of your hits on the axle end.

If again it gets tight, knock the axle back in a little to find another sweet spot, then try again to belt the axle out.

Time and patience and a BFH should get the job done.

What you find will possibly look like this one!

8wxu6x.jpg

Last edited:
okay thank you everyone! but im f*ckin stuck on getting those 2 huge 2" nuts off?!!?!?!? wtf am i doing wrong?!

i had a buddy sit on it. its stuck! im gonna have to cut it. im thinking about just getting a whole new rear axle and carrier from ebay?!? will one from an '02 fit my '03?

Yamaha lists different part numbers..... but i could swear they are interchangable just have to use a different brake hub due to rear hydro's??

They are not the same axles. The 03+ axles have a small ridge on the far right side to hold the brake hub in place once the axle nuts are tightened down. That's the reason why the 03+ rotors aren't "free-floating" like the 88-02's.

Now, you might be able to USE an 02 axle and it might work fine. I'm sure a skilled welder could MAKE an 02 axle into an 03+ axle by welding a bead around the end of the splines at the correct distance back to trap the hub so it can't float.

oh, okay. SI straightened us out. i get confused with all this brake hub, rotor mess.

It is wonderful what a flame an a BFH will do!

Dont cut it, heat it up and get a steel drift, hold it on the nut and beat it good, trying to favour anti clockwise rotation.

I have never yet had an axle nut not submit to a little force!

It is wonderful what a flame an a BFH will do!

Dont cut it, heat it up and get a steel drift, hold it on the nut and beat it good, trying to favour anti clockwise rotation.

I have never yet had an axle nut not submit to a little force!

I had one. It had been cross threaded and then installed BY FORCE and then allowed to rust in that precarious position. Not that taking it off did any good... the threads were boogered up under the nut but it made me feel better to hit with the oxy-fuel after I had exhausted every other option.

definately gonna have to go get more acetalene. sh*ts stuckkk! thanks for all the help guys! this forum's great!!!

dont give up, i fought mine for a week and prevailed. just soak it with pb and heat it, i had to resort to a bench vise and a pipe wrench with a breaker bar on it, it will submit, what till u try and get the axle out of the carrier lol

Who was it that said " give me a fulcrum, a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the world"

Get the nut hot and beat on it lots, it will come.

You may not be able to re use the nuts but you may save the axle.

Who was it that said " give me a fulcrum, a lever and a place to stand, and I will move the world"

Get the nut hot and beat on it lots, it will come.

You may not be able to re use the nuts but you may save the axle.

Probably the same guy who got crushed to death when the 800 lb boulder he was trying to lever over rocked back....

LOL with enough heat a "regular" stuck bolt or nut will come off. Mine was an extreme case... it was cross threaded first. You can also try heat cycles, sometimes the best method isn't just to fry the nut but to cycle it using a penetrating fluid. Heat the nut gently (not so hot the lube just flash boils off) and then soak it in penetrating lubricant (PB blaster works well!) several times to work some lube into the threads first and then heat it balls how and smack on it with a hammer. Sometimes that lube stays in there long enough to let the rust break loose and it'll unscrew.