How much truth in this?

ahlers77

Jul 27, 2010
Franklin,KY
Hey whats up guys? Im new here but just scored an 01 Blaster off a kid i work with for 80 bucks...engine was locked up because the kid decided to run straight gas with no premix so the exhaust side of the piston exploded & locked the crank up! Anyways i consider it a hell of a deal because its got an Fmf gold series fatty pipe with a power core 2 silencer,after market skid plates & upon taking the jug off discovered a hot rods con rod although im not sure if its a stroker rod or not at this point but who cares right? 80 bucks remember! So i got the pieces out of the crankcase with compressed air & flushed it with kerosene...spins nice & free with no visible damage & no play or slop. So heres where i need to ask the truth in this matter...i took the jug to a shop & the guy tells me its been bored once with a .50 millimeter overbore then proceeds to tell me that hes been working on engines for 30 years & to not even have the cylinder bored because basically blasters are grenades & ill just be rebuilding it again in 3 months. Im thinking to myself WTF...lets see, the blaster is 9 years old & has been bored once,how does that even make any sense? The guy tells me to sell it soon as i can pretty much or im just asking for a headache...whats your guys's input on this subject?

The guy sounds like an absolute moron. Actually, both guys other than you sound pretty stupid in this story. Take it to a real shop where they can actually bore your jug out for you. And welcome to the site.

That is quite a score you got. As for blasters being grenades, this is very untrue. Most people get around a couple years out of a topend, if not more. The blaster is quite simple and when properly tuned and maintained should have no problem being a reliable machine. Taking proper care of your blaster is the key to making it last longer. I'd recommend taking it to a different shop to get the work done, as was mentioned above. Good luck with it and welcome to the forum.

Thanks on the replies already, much appreciated & thanks for welcoming me to the site! I told my girlfriend when we left the shop that the guy was a delbert dumbutt for sure & that he must not have a clue what jetting does or its purpose if all the blasters he works on blows up in 3 months! Im by far a 2 stroke wiz or anything but i knew there was no truth in what he said. Ive had many 2 stroke dirtbikes in the past & would MAYBE have to rebuild once a year if that!

pffft, pure garbage. you can get yeeears out of a piston its all about taking proper care of it and jetting properly.

package that whole engine uo in a crate and send it off to ken oconner for rebuilding. he knows a ton and is not gona fill you full of sh*t just so he can get extra business. give him a call he will answer all your questions and never beat around the bush. click on the link in my signature for info on him and get his number. \/\/\/

sounds like a DOUCHE BAG to me. yeah do what 98blaster+4 said or order a clymers manual for the blaster and start learning. any advice you need, there is always someone here to answer it. if that guy can't get a blaster to run more than three months I wouldn't take a damn weed wacker to him(by the way if you learn how to work on a blaster you can fix your weed wacker too if its twostroke.

Well a few things:

#1 a blaster is only a grenade if the person who rebuilds it doesn't do it right. It needs a few things. Parts aren't really expensive, go ahead and spend it the first time and it'll hold together correctly.

#2 a blaster can be bored a total of 9 times over stock size of 66mm in steps of .25mm or .010". There's a lot of life in a stock sleeve and then a new sleeved can then be installed and port matched to get another 9 lives out of that cat...

#3 Run away from that machine shop. I don't know of any engines that are truly grenades (except maybe the diahatsu 3 cyl diesels used in Kawasaki mules with the nodular iron crankshafts) when they are setup and maintained properly.

#4 The fastest way to screw up a new engine is to not follow a few basic procedures; break-in, warm-up, and leak check.

Already ordered the Clymers manual off Ebay used for $9 & have been doin tons of research on here already tryin to decide what exactly i want to do with it...so many options is crazy! I plan on goin with a Pro Lite piston & more than likely getting some port work done before i put it back together although all it needs is a bore job & piston to get it runnin but whats the fun in that if you arent making it faster! I:I

If you plan on outlaying the greens for it to be ported, go ahead and ask for a quote from an engine builder about getting it all done at one time. They can supply a piston, bore it to size and port it at the same time. Might get a few bucks off for getting it all done at one time.

They really aren't grenades if you take care and put them together right the first time.

Well a few things:

#1 a blaster is only a grenade if the person who rebuilds it doesn't do it right. It needs a few things. Parts aren't really expensive, go ahead and spend it the first time and it'll hold together correctly.

#2 a blaster can be bored a total of 9 times over stock size of 66mm in steps of .25mm or .010". There's a lot of life in a stock sleeve and then a new sleeved can then be installed and port matched to get another 9 lives out of that cat...

#3 Run away from that machine shop. I don't know of any engines that are truly grenades (except maybe the diahatsu 3 cyl diesels used in Kawasaki mules with the nodular iron crankshafts) when they are setup and maintained properly.

#4 The fastest way to screw up a new engine is to not follow a few basic procedures; break-in, warm-up, and leak check.

good advise ...a wise man ^^^^^^^^

They are gernades when incompetent people try and rebuild them with used ebay pistons, 3 tubes of gasket sealer on used gaskets, armstrong toque specs, never leak down tested, dirty air filters, and improperly jetted... while running walmart weedeater 2 stroke oil, but then again the freshly spraybombed fenders with the monster stickers look cool a hell.............

Phragle, i got my new knee cap bustin hammer tonight.........

but there's no reason that a blaster motor can't last quite a while with proper maintenance and jetting