head gasket failure?

2000chevy

Jan 23, 2013
west virginia
Ok I know this is kind of against the rules but I really need help quick on this one. I bought a 1990 polaris 350l for dirt cheap and it ended up needing a top end rebuild. I got everything together and it read around 170 psi. the next day i went to put every thing back together on the bike but i put the tester on it again and it read 120 psi but it would still run. I went on to working on other parts of the bike and didn't think much more about it because I bought a used set of piston and rings. (I know broke another rule but dont have a ton of money to put in to it) I got everything back together and it wouldnt start. Put the tester on it again and it only read 90 psi. When I take the plug out and crank it it has a pretty bad smell to it. Would this be a head gasket failure? And do I need to buy new head studs to get it to seal right?

I would sudjest taking the top end off and buying the recomended rings and get that cylinder checked out before you have to bore it and put on a new annealed head gasket. so it'll seal correctly. If it runs and the smoke smells bad yea you got a main bearing failure. or could be old clutch oil or bad gas but most likely a main bearing.

My bad 51, that is a smoker :-[

still wonder if OP used a new gasket, or as Phragle asked
i know no biggie
i bought a new head basket and i honed the cylinder and yeah i pulled out two head studs during teardown
yea a head stud needs to be repaired or replaced or it'll probably 95% here cause an air leak how one fixes that i dont know ive never had to do it before. hopefully someone who knows will chime in.