head bolts question

Mar 22, 2009
homeland GA
i think i may have torqued my head too tight. i bought a torque wrench from my local auto parts store for cheap. the only one they had that wasnt the size of your leg only reads in inch pounds. i torqued them at 20 ft lbs. after doing so i was curious how accurate it was. so i set up the torque wrench so that i could dangle 20lbs of weight from it. i dangled it from the wrench and it didnt click, so applied some pressure to make it click. im not sure how many extra punds i pushed, assumeing atleast 2 to 3 lbs more to get it too click. would this cause an issue? should i back the head nuts off a lil loose and then calibrate my torque wrench and fin where 20 is and re torque them?

I am not really sure that your method of calibration is entirely correct.

The better way would be to test against a known good wrench.

Rather than re calibrate I would prefer to use the wrench as is.

Providing that you have not started the motor, it would be safe to loosen and re torque.

there is a youtube video online on how to calibrate the torque wrench and he used weights too but also had a few math formuals to precisely calibrate the wrench.. i also dont have another torque wrench to try it against

If you think that you are only a few lbs over tight then it will be possibly be ok.

After heat cycles you are going to have to re torque the bolts again

Find a buddy with a wrench and compare notes..