Need some help deciding

blaster214

Jan 28, 2013
Ok so try not to hate on me too much but I work with my neighbor and we fix quads and sxs as a side job. We got a 400 ex in and it needs new valves and new clutch. Had bent intake valves piston looks great though. As did the bottom end we took it apart due to shifting issues got it put back together only to find no compression

So he would probably be willing to trade me the 400 for my blaster. I would not trade until he has bought parts and it is running

I am planning very soon to do the head mod and port the cylinder I already have an fmf fatty and power core. Reeds and jetting.

The 400 has extended axle and a arms. My suspension is still stock. I weigh about 200 pounds. I love the blaster and after I do the mods it will have plenty of power. Oh and mine is an 04 his is a 2000.

I love my blaster but the bigger frame and better suspension is tempting. What would yall do.

If you plan on porting and head mod you may not want to trade after after the power increase you will have if done correctly.
You can always snag the 400ex rear shock and install on the blaster.:D way better.

Let's say I upgrade the shocks and gusset the frame. Where would the blaster stand compared to the 400 for me being 200 pounds.

They are decent bikes.
If you want to trade then trade.
Just make sure the top end is right or it can add up quickly

Well that's why I'm asking because I dont know how much better they are.

1. I know frame and suspension geometry is different between the two. So if I were to upgrade shocks and axle and gusset the frame would the blaster hold up with my fat a$$ on it i dont do mx on it but i ride trails that have deep creek beds and i can easily catch 3-4 ft of air i dont want to wreck the frame.

2. I know that I can make the blaster fast I've done it with one I had years ago but again I was 21 and 40 pounds lighter wasn't to worried about bending anything.

Slydog just so you and everyone else who reads this knows I posted this in the engine section cause I wanted to give the rundown on where the 400 was at and also my plans for the blaster. Hoping for some honest comparisons between the two handling and frame wise. I've heard others talk about the 400 shock likenyou mentioned and also shee front shocks. I'd def be going this route with the blaster

Lastly I've always been a two stroke fan but didn't want to pass it up if it was really alot better.
Thanks

Do you have the 400ex shock. How much better is it.

Do you have different front shocks.

I tried searching a bunch of different forums on this but just got alot of my stock 400 will beat a 240 blaster with all the mods or vis versa and a bunch of online pissing matches. Lol.

Reactions: Slydog
Do you have the 400ex shock. How much better is it.

Do you have different front shocks.

I tried searching a bunch of different forums on this but just got alot of my stock 400 will beat a 240 blaster with all the mods or vis versa and a bunch of online pissing matches. Lol.
Yes i have the 400ex rear shock. And works triple rate remote resi front shocks.. The stock blaster suspension is not very good.
If it's a tough decision?be like me and have both bikes:). Or more.
Get it running and ride it if you have never ridden one. Port yours and ride that till :D

Yea I remember what I did to the other blaster I had. It was fast. It had a arms axle and spacers it handled alot better than this one. I'm thinking with shock upgrades and a shee axle I'll be happy for now till I get the coin to really do suspension mods.

So my last blaster I ported it exhaust 1.5 mm higher and 1mm wider head mod but I forget now what I did to the head so I'm going to go by what I've learned. All in all for 12.95 in gaskets I can smoke a 400ex but I'm still wondering how this blaster will hold up to me throwing it around.

I guess I'll have to follow my instincts and stick with the 2 stroke since I like it better. I'll gusset the frame and see how it holds up.

I dont have the money right now to buy the 400ex other wise I would.

Reactions: Slydog
Yea I remember what I did to the other blaster I had. It was fast. It had a arms axle and spacers it handled alot better than this one. I'm thinking with shock upgrades and a shee axle I'll be happy for now till I get the coin to really do suspension mods.

So my last blaster I ported it exhaust 1.5 mm higher and 1mm wider head mod but I forget now what I did to the head so I'm going to go by what I've learned. All in all for 12.95 in gaskets I can smoke a 400ex but I'm still wondering how this blaster will hold up to me throwing it around.

I guess I'll have to follow my instincts and stick with the 2 stroke since I like it better. I'll gusset the frame and see how it holds up.

I dont have the money right now to buy the 400ex other wise I would.
Well good luck on whatever you decide

Reactions: blaster214