got my yfz arms and this is going to be a nightmare

i didn't build a jig off a yfz but i measured the hell out of one i got it as close as possible. the spindle stays level threw travel. i'm making everything bolt on just to prove the concept then plan on cutting off the blaster mounts and welding everything on if it all works. just wish i had the rest of the parts to try it out now just a few things got me nervous hoping i can talk my buddy who gave me the arms into pulling a few parts off of one of his yfz's so i can test it some more. I might try to sleeve the ball joints thanks for that tip. if i can get him to pull a set of shocks might just put my spindles on there either way just to move it around the yard a bit and see if how it feels i have a feeling it's going to sit a lot higher.

couple numbers for ya total travel is 11.5". best i can find online the lenghth of a yfz shock is 17" if that's true then as it sits with no weight front and back the front end will be sitting same height as the rear so things are looking better. last night i was feeling a bit defeated after getting a nice chunk of metal stuck in my eye and i have to rebuild all my brackets using a drill press if you are off at all things don't fit and i mean off by a little you hold the plates together and you can barely see any difference but the bolts will not go threw the arms and out the other side. Need to get some more steel and go to my buddy's machine shop and stack them on top of each other and drill them at the same time... anyhow back to having fun

i have a spare frame laying around here and also had the idea of modding arms from another quad to fit it. but since the arms from most other quads are wider i had the idea of cutting the frame bewteen the a-arm mounts and extending the frame to fit them. i do not have a ton of suspension/geometry knowledge though, any thoughts on this?

I'm just guessing. But if the suspension mounts are within an inch of one another, between yfz and blaster then the yfz tie rods should work in theory. Not sure if you have them or not.

here's the blaster measurements sorry it's kinda huge
blasterm.jpg

if you do it and it lines up with the current geomtry, you dont need to make new mount. carefully grind the welds away on the rear upper and lower mounts, move them where they need to be and weld them back on. IF the geometry is the same.

i have a spare frame laying around here and also had the idea of modding arms from another quad to fit it. but since the arms from most other quads are wider i had the idea of cutting the frame bewteen the a-arm mounts and extending the frame to fit them. i do not have a ton of suspension/geometry knowledge though, any thoughts on this?

i think that would be the better way to go. if i had a spare frame around i would just cut and move the blaster mounts to the correct location for the yfz arms and it would be farely easy mod to make. unfortunately first race is next month and i don't know if would be able to get all the pieces bought and get it together by then so i'm trying the bolt on method atleast at the moment i can be riding in a hour. i think if i can get it all together and i like the way it rides i wil strip the frame again and move the blaster mounts. just not during riding weather :)

I was more curious to the side to side mount distance (in the v of the frame). I noticed you didn't show those measurements for the blaster. Thou it looks to have promise with what you got so far, with the yfz arms. Thou the bracket mounts u made could possibly leave a misleading feel imo, But I understand not wanting to hack into the frame till u got things figured out.

I was more curious to the side to side mount distance (in the v of the frame). I noticed you didn't show those measurements for the blaster. Thou it looks to have promise with what you got so far, with the yfz arms. Thou the bracket mounts u made could possibly leave a misleading feel imo, But I understand not wanting to hack into the frame till u got things figured out.

not sure what measurement you are looking for? let me know and i'll get it on there

with the arms spread wider by the brackets you going to have tie rod length issues and geometry wise, the closer (narrower) the mounts are the less bumpsteer you have.

i know there's definately tie rod issues the angle on the spindle is crazy. i was wondering what would happen with tierod's being that long as well. kinda why i'm hoping to borrow enough parts to get this thing rolling before i spend a bunch of money when it's a wasted efford

Sorry that I wasn't more clear but I was wondering on the distance between left and right mounts in the v of the frame from the front view, like in the first pic. And how much different it was to the yfz? If they are really close than the geometry shouldn't change much.
I also noticed the shock mounts look lower on the arm of the yfz, I suppose that would allow longer shocks than too.

the yfz side to side measurement is 5 1/2" between top mounts and bottom mounts so it is a definate issue had to mount bottom arms out farther than the top to make up the difference. other issue to have 3" bottom travel i'll need a 19-20" shock. if i use a yfz shock which i just measured at 15.5" i'll have about 4" up travel. i think i can over come this issue by moving the shock mount on the bottom arms in. this is definately no small under taking

here's something to look at for the time being. the dimensions would be close if the blaster mounts were parralel but no matter what you do you have to move the bottom mounts out to use yfz arrms. but i could see it being possible if you were willing to start cutting on your frame i just can't do it it's my only play toy i have right now that kaw sitting next to it doesn't count it weighs 2 tons and just isn't any fun. you should be able to move the top arm mount back then use brackets like i built to move the bottom arms out and bob's your uncle more or less and the shock issue wouldn't be as bad or atleast overcome it with a set of the shock brackets from diamond j

Drawing2.jpg