fuel issue

Aug 4, 2011
Elkhart,IN
well tryed to start quad today and it wouldnt start so i started playing around with a couple things and found that it has spark and compression. so i started looking at fuel well i just got the hunch to poor some fuel directly onto the filter and it started for a breif second then died well i pulled fuel line and verified that its getting to the carb but for some reason its not reaching the cylinder? any help appreciated

The petcock may be blocked, pull the hose off and see if you get a good steady stream of gas flowing.

With the hose back on release the fuel bowl drain screw to see if you get constant flow from the drain hose.

If you have no fuel flowing from the drain hose, the problem could be crap in the needle and seat assembly, or a filthy carby and jets!

Try draining the gas out of the carb first cuz this ethenol gas suck then if that doesn't work clean the carb good, I use a toothbrush, carb cleaner, something small to clean out all the small passages and compresses air.

took carb off running blaster to put on this one and it still didnt work. not sure what to do i tryed the litte gas straight to the carb trick and its not working now either. so i guess this just leaves reads right??

Check the reeds! A broken, chipped, or leaking petal on the reed cage will prevent the engine from firing. Its just 4 bolts and a gasket...easy to remove and check.

Yes reeds check for cracks or any play in them and b sure they sit right.

If the reeds are good then I would do a leak test.

I have actually used n old credit card for reeds to get me out of the woods once. It melted but it got me home. I wouldn't sugest doing that but I wasn't walking. X(

just got done leak testing before i put it all back together so i know its air tight unless it just sprang a leak that fast! and i didnt use a gasket for the reeds i used hondabond is that ok? everytime i use a rubber gasket i get a airleak there so i said screw it and put on the hondabond

The reason you may be having problems with a gasket leaking is that you could be overtightening the bolts and flexing the cage.

They must be tightened diagonally and incrementally.

I had spark and fuel after a top and bottom rebuild and I probably kicked engine over 200 times before it stayed running. It would stumble and fart but not stay running. I pored gas in carb also with little results. Then, like magic she fired and purred like a kitten. I still dont really know why. It's not much help but it's my story. You might try towing it in gear to she if she will even try to start.

lol well got mad at it the other day and just srarted to kick the hell out of it for like 5 10 min straight and walla started up :) funny how things work lol. now even cold it fires up 1 kick