From Pace quad to Race quad!

Spywell

Mar 25, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Alright, for the next three weeks we will be keeping everyone updated with pictures etc. of a blasters transformation from slow to fast.

With the help of N8tsNastyBlasty and Rubbersalt we hope to show you how to take a slow blaster and make it fast.

Objectives:
  • Take times of a stock 200cc blaster @ 120psi compression.
  • Completely dissasemble atv
  • Strengthen frame
  • re-weld and extend a-arms
  • new shocks with new geometry
  • Port the engine
  • increase compression
  • build a fully custom 5 stage pipe to match the port job
  • change the timing
  • enlarged intake with larger reed cage
  • shee hubs
  • carb matched to porting
  • high performance filter with custom outerwear

Through most of our objectives we will be taking and averaging times for every modification so you can see relative improvements throughout this experiment.

I will be updating this post if we add or subtract any objectives.

N8 will be in charge of porting/welding
Salt will give porting numbers/pipe design/welding/fabrication
I will be documenting/dissasembly/reassembly/riding/helping etc.

I hope we are able to create an exciting, informative thread, if anyone has an idea to add to our objectives list please tell.

Thanks!
blaster.jpg

Pipe Design Thread: Custom Pipe Design

Last edited:
Alright, for the next three weeks we will be keeping everyone updated with pictures etc. of a blasters transformation from slow to fast.

With the help of N8tsNastyBlasty and Rubbersalt we hope to show you how to take a slow blaster and make it fast.

Objectives:
  • Take times of a stock 200cc blaster @ 120psi compression.
  • Completely dissasemble atv
  • Strengthen frame
  • re-weld and extend a-arms
  • new shocks with new geometry
  • Port the engine
  • increase compression
  • build a fully custom 5 stage pipe to match the port job
  • change the timing
  • enlarged intake with larger reed cage
  • shee hubs
  • carb matched to porting
  • high performance filter with custom outerwear

Through most of our objectives we will be taking and averaging times for every modification so you can see relative improvements throughout this experiment.

I will be updating this post if we add or subtract any objectives.

N8 will be in charge of porting/welding
Salt will give porting numbers/pipe design/welding/fabrication
I will be documenting/dissasembly/reassembly/riding/helping etc.

I hope we are able to create an exciting, informative thread, if anyone has an idea to add to our objectives list please tell.

Thanks!

it looks more like a mission that a build hahaha i wanna c pics

At the same time, we are doing this AS CHEAP AS POSIBLE.

Basicaly, from our own pockets, we have $154 invested. That is including the blaster that is running.

Heres how we got the blaster; My dad bought an old 1978 honda XL250s dirt bike non running for $75. I adjusted valves and got it running. I purchased a front rim + tire for $60. I bought a new intake boot for $15. Then i bought $4 gas for it lol. Traded it outright for a non running blaster. Blaster needed a stator - N8 had a spare. Pet weiner was missing - I had a spare. Needle was missing inside the carb - was flooding over - N8 had a spare..

We are at $154 invested. I would like to keep the build under $300 total, but thats pushing the limits hard.. CR125 reeds alone are $15 >.<, Brakes are $20 >.< Chain and sprockets are I'm guessing around $40? Porting Bits are $15 or so. Seat cover materials maybe $10?

We like to do our own fabrication/work, so all we need are the parts we cant make :)

Stock pics are up, we would have gotten stock times today but it was well over 100 degrees. We have found a major intake air leak, hopefully we can fix her and get some times tomorrow!

It was hot hear to about 2 or 3 hours away. But Looks like you got a good project ahead of you guys. Btw i just restored my hood and tank cover you should do it with the blur i sanded it and then put on a few coats of mop n glo good stuff.

Alright, we had a delay on getting our stock times. Apparently the loon who owned the blaster before us put the cylinder on without a gasket. We had some major air leaks around the base and head. I made a gasket for it and will try to assemble it within the next day or so. Sorry for the hold up, I thought the carb was just out of tune lol.

any updates? anything even done?

Yea got the top end pulled, cleaned up, gasket made, head gasket annealed, carb tuned, removed a broken reed cage bolt, put it all back together and rode a stock blaster today.

Whoever owned this blaster before us had the head leaking for a long time and the base was leaking really bad since they didn't use a gasket or even silicone lol.

The stock carb is the biggest POS carb I have ever worked on in my life, it was a really bad decision on both Yamaha and Mikuni's part, I can't wait to replace the damned thing.

I guess it's true what they say, blasters are broken (slow) from factory, nobody around here has ever seen a stock blaster. It's surprising how slow they are, even more surprising how fast they can become! I do like the bottom end grunt of the stocker though, I can drift that thing all around. Then again, I can drift N8tsNastyBlasty around too ;) Nathans blaster feels like a stock blaster x10 according to the ass dyno.

We will have slow times here real soon. I kept thinking that after I got this blaster put back together and running, I might not want to take it apart since I will have nothing to ride. After putting around on the stocker all day, I can hardly wait to tear into it, the things worthless stock! I don't mean to slam the blaster, but whoever rides a stock blaster sure don't know what they are missing, I hope to show them the light real soon!

[/QUOTE]whoever rides a stock blaster sure don't know what they are missing, I hope to show them the light real soon![/QUOTE]

i race a mostly stock blaster its got a 250r rear shock, +2 rear wheel spacers
nerfbars and a teather kill switch and im able to beat a 250 on grasstrack and mx !! u would be soprised how well it can handle when i push it hard, but dats my problem i have to dog the living sh1t on the quad to get the results im getting.

im probably getting some thing differant and the end of the year probably a gasgas if im not going into the 450 class. i could spend a tone of money to make it as quick as a gasgas but the cost of brembo brake and ohlins shocks, it would make more seance to get a gasgas 250 wild imo

Stock pics are up, we would have gotten stock times today but it was well over 100 degrees. We have found a major intake air leak, hopefully we can fix her and get some times tomorrow!

There's always the handymans secret weapon...................duct tape lots and lots of duct tape

Wait, I was holding them hostage? You left the camera! I didn't even know I had it.. wher eis the video? You got the camera now.

These times might be a hair faster than stock - 68mm piston.