Getting the blaster to run correctly

McCool

Jan 18, 2020
Hi new to the forum. i just got a blaster up and running with a vitos BBK kit and a kehin 35mm carb. pro circuit pipe vitos reeds custom aluminum intake box with filter and pre filter

55 pilot and a 168main float height is correct and im sitting at 1 3/4 turns out. needle clip is at the very top position the issue im having is the bike doesnt move fast down low and once it revs out it will pull hard all day long. if im cruising in first or second and punch it, the bike wont lets say pop a wheelie until the very end of the power band and needing to shift up. i can baby the throttle in any gear and the bike will cruise no problem. but just no pep down low at all.

is my Pilot to rich causing me to lean up the mid? i started the needle clip at 1 down from the middle and made no difference so i starting going positions up on the needle and it got better but still not where i believe it should be.

Last edited:
I think your running rich.i have a ported bigbore+3. At sea level im running 52 pilot and 162 main on a 34pj. @90 degrees. Depends on your elevation and temp

florida elevation. i was thinking rich main as well and by leaning up the needle was compensating. but low speed screw is right in the ball park witch is why i was so confused. ima go a size down on the main and see what happends i just wanted some other thoughts and opinions.. thanks

ment pilot not main

Last edited:
Hi new to the forum. i just got a blaster up and running with a vitos BBK kit and a kehin 35mm carb. pro circuit pipe vitos reeds custom aluminum intake box with filter and pre f
55 pilot and a 168main float height is correct and im sitting at 1 3/4 turns out. needle clip is at the very top position the issue im having is the bike doesnt move fast down low and once it revs out it will pull hard all day long. if im cruising in first or second and punch it, the bike wont lets say pop a wheelie until the very end of the power band and needing to shift up. i can baby the throttle in any gear and the bike will cruise no problem. but just no pep down low at all.

is my main to rich causing me to lean up the mid? i started the needle clip at 1 down from the middle and made no difference so i starting going positions up on the needle and it got better but still not where i believe it should be.
Aren't those the jets the carb comes with? What needle you have in it?

If your all the way lean on the needle your trying to compensate for wrong jetting or needle.you have to get your low speed jetting correct first.then plug chop readings to dial in main.try a cel needle maybe a 52 pilot..basicaly. Buy some jets.no way around it.buy genuine jets only! More money but sizes are accurate

Reactions: Awk08
Carb came with a 68 pilot. vitos gave me 55 and 155 i threw in the 55 pilot to start with. the needle was in the middle position and i played with it both ways and it responded better lean. i will pick up the next 2 sizes smaller on the pilot and go from there.
the bike never hiccups cruising. but the power is coming in way late.

i dont remember the needle off hand but it is what the carb came with 35pkw

Carb came with a 68 pilot. vitos gave me 55 and 155 i threw in the 55 pilot to start with. the needle was in the middle position and i played with it both ways and it responded better lean. i will pick up the next 2 sizes smaller on the pilot and go from there.
the bike never hiccups cruising. but the power is coming in way late.

i dont remember the needle off hand but it is what the carb came with 35pkw
PhotoPictureResizer_200118_171733492-750x454.jpg

You have 1/8 to1/4 on top of chart. On right side is 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.i run the cel which is a leaner needle.bike likes it.

Correct my blaster likes it at sealevel.wasent sure if you could read the chart or not.makes it easier to no what is richer or leaner. Hope it helps

can you send me a link of a good site to pick up good pair of pilot jets and a CEL needle.

so i got the 50 pilot in and its now coming alive. needles back in the middle position (dgk needle) the track near me is a tight course so i im running mostly 1/4 3/4 throttle. but i noticed when i do go wot and let off to slow down the motor sounds like the revs are bouncing as they are dropping down. it sounds lean to me but its not?

like zing ding ding ding slowing ding ding idle. like hanging idle. no pinging. if i pull the choke it dies out quickly

One thing not mentioned yet was a #6 slide, it's almost a MUST on these 34-36 Keihins

Start at the bottom and work up, get one circuit right before moving up to the next.

float height correct ?
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/float-heights-and-how-to-adjust-them.50565/

What determined it wants a 50 pilot ?
The airscrew setting will tell you, highest idle between 1/2 and 2 turns out ?.....
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/adjusting-your-airscrew-pilot-jet.51060/

Sly was correct, many members on here report the CEL needle for lower elevations
mine likes a leaner DGH @ 1800' elevation
middle clip position seems to work for most, if you get the correct needle.
1/2 throttle plug chops can be done for this too, but dropping the clip(richen) until it blubbers, then back up one slot or until it pulls hard thru 3/4 throttle always worked for me

Then start large on the main jet and plug chop down (leaner) It's the proven method
https://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-plug-chop.53237/

Last edited:
Reactions: Slydog