Fixing up 1995 Blaster

Davo

Oct 3, 2014
iowa
I picked up a 1995 blaster off craigslist and have fixed it up over the summer. The previous owner said it was bored over 30. I have added a Weisco clutch, FMF exhaust (Turbinecore2), and other various body and suspension fix ups. Its ran pretty good all summer on weekend quad park adventures. Granted - it runs a little rich, from the plugs it tends to foul. Starts on 1st kick and idles great, lots of Pep.

From my understanding - no jetting and foam air filter with no cover.

In its situation I would like a new pipe and air filter. To my knowledge jets are stock. Is it wise to look at re-jetting once pipe is added? Also thoughts on air filter.
IMG_0199.JPG

Last edited:
Any mod to air flow in or out of the engine requires jetting change. Have you compression tested and leak tested it? Stock jet should be 230, did you get the fmf pipe and silencer? Also I would tear that carb down and clean it good and make sure the floats and needle are set properly, that could be your rich issue.

Recent issue.
Over the weekend on a ride, the idle ran out of control. I pulled the choke and it killed it. It started again and wanted to idle really high. I was able to ride it back and load up. Next day after a good carb cleaning she is back to idling normal granted the idle screw is only 1/2 or so turns out.

If possible air leak. Before carburetion, after carb/reeds or can top end have any effect.

Oh me thinks he means leak locations?? Worst culprit is the reed boot, but can be anywhere from filter lid to silencer tip, including head gasket, base gasket, crank seals

Thanks! I cleaned out the carb good and installed a moose rebuild kit. Cleaned the air filter good and re oiled. Cleaned the plug and she started on the first kick. Set the air screw. Seems to be back to normal, granted running way smoother and a nice kick mid way through the throttle.

Okay, no air box lid, 30 over bore and 230 main jet. Idle is set at 3/4 on the air crew. According to what I read on here that's not correct.

Will do a leak down what I get the other blaster project.

did you start with airscrew out 1.5 ?

you should have a 250 if you have air lid off and a new airfilter (i hope you do, 20 year old filter probably crap)

If you have the fmf fatty?? and silencer with lid off, and a foam filter you should be running up towards 290-300, you never confirmed if it was a full fmf exhaust or just silencer

Air Filter is foam, recently cleaned and re oiled. I got it without the cover.
Just the FMF exhaust w/stock pipe.
I check the carb cap. TORS is removed.

Its run good the last few weeks after the carb rebuild. Has not fowled a plug in a month.

You wont foul a plug running lean. You could melt one though along with a piston (running lean) :mad::eek:.. Read up on doing a plug chop. Buy a few b8es plugs and get the choppin. Pst a few pics of the plug and we can help you out.

“Plug Chop Plug Chop Plug Chop” I cry!
“Until you learn to feel me, You’ll have to do it by eye.”

When it's dirty and black, it's got the sh*ts,
You have too much gas you are running rich.

When its hot and white, but looks pretty clean,
You're 'bout to blow your sh*t up; you're running lean.