Fiberglass air box

1995blaster

Jul 30, 2009
I wish i would of thought of this before i bought my air box. Well why dont you make a fiberglass airbox.
you could first make it out of card board. then fiberglass over it. Think you could munipulate fiberglass and carb board alot easyier than metal with less tools. it will be just as durable as stock if not stronger. If you have confidence in you fiberglass skills you could make a lil tool box while you there. and it could just bolt it to where the stock fender mounts go. shouldnt be to hard at all.

Reactions: 98blaster+4
I'd actually just like to make a shallow fiberglass tool box to go in front of my cfm that would be cool.......................try it and let us know the results

that would be a good idea if you already have one just to make a tool box. and i would try if the 20$ was so tight right now since im about 40$ away from sending my motor to civicdude for some porting and crank clutch etc.

Also my fiberglassing skills have never been tested out so idk. but if someone is good at it they probably could make some money with it

all i really know is you lay down the fiberglass sheets then the resin and hardener. shouldnt be to hard i dont think and you can just make the box out of card board then put tin foil over it and then fiber glass or maybe theres a trick so it doesnt stick to everything

all i really know is you lay down the fiberglass sheets then the resin and hardener. shouldnt be to hard i dont think and you can just make the box out of card board then put tin foil over it and then fiber glass or maybe theres a trick so it doesnt stick to everything

id make a frame out of plywood

card board would be easier no need for ply wood lol thats a lil over kill. Id get some cardboard and lots of duct tape. i saw some one on the s10forums.com make an airbox for a truck the very same way im thinkin of.

looks like you know how to do it really well. I wish you had the funds lol you seem like the guy that would make one like like a pro built it.

its actually easy, build on out of wood, make sure all the edges and corners on the outside are rounded not sharp. coat the wood with a thin layer of bondo and wet sand perfectly smooth and wax. now brush on about a 1/4" of gelcoat then 3 layers of 1708 and polyester resin. once completely dry pull the fiberglass part off of the wood plug you made. You now have a mold, wetsand any rough spots on the mold then wax and start making airboxes. You can get black fiberglass that will look just like carbon fiber when you lay it up but a hell of a lot cheaper.