Fabbing a custom mag cover

i wonder why water was getting into it ?????
hint.............he thinks its a submarine !!!!!
vid's coming in a few months, hahahaaaa

lookin good bro, so much so, that you better use tamper proof screws, or it might just come up missing at this years ride !!!!!

lol.....lol.......

Are you going to pattern this digitally to repeat, so that you can sell them ? if so, make the opening in your case saver as large as possible to accommodate the largest sprocket size available.

Some of us like to run big sprockets and grinding to fit a brand new billet aluminum chunk is not my idea of a "good deal" when I buy it.

Just food for thought.

Nice work so far. Pattern work was always fun.

Looking good.Not to pick anything apart but I would think about some delrin with that case saver.I hear aluminum case savers can cause more problems than good since there is no give per say on them.Either way nice work!!

Lets face it, if your chain lets loose at 50+ mph, nothing is going to stop the damage that is about to occur. But at 50, there is much less stress on the chain then there is shifting from say 2-3 or 3-4, hard on the gas, bumping up and down in the woods.

Thats why I run as big of sprockets I can front and rear. I dont have to worry about boink-n rocks or logs in the rear, as I dont ride in the woods.

If I could make em work, Id run 18t front and 55t rear. There are several theories behind this.

1. The more teeth that engage with the chain at any given time cause less shock and stress on the chain and sprocket as your spreading the load across a broader area or links.

2. The more teeth that engage with the chain at any given time cause less shock and stress on the transmission and ultimately the clutch as their is less space between the teeth and chain links.

3. More links in the chain means a longer chain and larger sprockets means the chain bends less to circumvent the sprockets. Less bending = less energy to bend the chain = more HP to the rear wheels.

4. More links means the chain lasts longer as there are less links being engaged per revolution.

Take a look at your typical drag atv. They run as big of sprockets as they can find. The new billet banshee engine cases made by mattoon machine facilitate the use of 20t front sprockets now. Their HUGE. Not to mention it makes for an ever increasing options in final drive ratios.

Looking good.Not to pick anything apart but I would think about some delrin with that case saver.I hear aluminum case savers can cause more problems than good since there is no give per say on them.Either way nice work!!

The 3/16 thick aluminum is my pattern, i was thinking of making it out of some kind of plastic..

Are you going to pattern this digitally to repeat, so that you can sell them ? if so, make the opening in your case saver as large as possible to accommodate the largest sprocket size available.

Some of us like to run big sprockets and grinding to fit a brand new billet aluminum chunk is not my idea of a "good deal" when I buy it.

Just food for thought.

Nice work so far. Pattern work was always fun.

I don't know if i will repeat to sell, i was thinking of 1 of a kind...lol:D

Its just a pattern and i dont know if the chain will fit on it now, so i may go larger on the opening..

comin along great man. what will you use to form the cover. you have access to a cnc machine?

I have a machinist friend that i do some mig & tig welding and some fab work for so now we just need to find some free time to get together and work on this thing...

But to make it we will put the aluminum in the lathe and machine the middle out and then use the 3jaw chuck to hold it in the middle and machine the outside... After that i will use my pattern to drill the holes and my band saw cut it to shape...

Lets face it, if your chain lets loose at 50+ mph, nothing is going to stop the damage that is about to occur. But at 50, there is much less stress on the chain then there is shifting from say 2-3 or 3-4, hard on the gas, bumping up and down in the woods.

Thats why I run as big of sprockets I can front and rear. I dont have to worry about boink-n rocks or logs in the rear, as I dont ride in the woods.

If I could make em work, Id run 18t front and 55t rear. There are several theories behind this.

1. The more teeth that engage with the chain at any given time cause less shock and stress on the chain and sprocket as your spreading the load across a broader area or links.

2. The more teeth that engage with the chain at any given time cause less shock and stress on the transmission and ultimately the clutch as their is less space between the teeth and chain links.

3. More links in the chain means a longer chain and larger sprockets means the chain bends less to circumvent the sprockets. Less bending = less energy to bend the chain = more HP to the rear wheels.

4. More links means the chain lasts longer as there are less links being engaged per revolution.

Take a look at your typical drag atv. They run as big of sprockets as they can find. The new billet banshee engine cases made by mattoon machine facilitate the use of 20t front sprockets now. Their HUGE. Not to mention it makes for an ever increasing options in final drive ratios.

I think all the moto crossers run the biggest front sprockets they can on there dirt bike's for some reason like that...

When i started to fab up a pattern for a case saver i was thinking about the night ride at AWK's wild ride II, and how the chain got folded up and wedged between the front sprocket and shifter rod, on teckblaster blaster, and how freekes case saver would have prevented that!!!

Last edited:
poor techblaster, we left his ass out in the dark, with just a little flashlight in the middle of the mountain, hahahaaaaaa

I think all the moto crossers run the biggest front sprockets they can and a smaller rear sprocket on there dirt bike's for some reason like that...

When i started to fab up a pattern for a case saver i was thinking about the night ride at AWK's wild ride II, and how the chain got folded up and wedged between the front sprocket and shifter rod, on teckblaster blaster, and how freekes case saver would have prevented that!!!

We weren't going fast, that saver would of helped for sure!

poor techblaster, we left his ass out in the dark, with just a little flashlight in the middle of the mountain, hahahaaaaaa

Lucky I had the raptor that night! That was a cold ass windy night my hands were frozen for a long time! If there was ever a night for a fire and a case of beer that was it!

lol, how long did we sit in the dark before batt and i went up there and saved the day bahahahahaahha

I will always carry a 10mm, 8mm, 6mm socket from now on! Ya never know...