exhaust header rattle??

nd jat

Aug 10, 2008
mandan ND
Well was doing a leak down test, I removed the header to get better access to plug the exhaust port. Well when I went to reinstall the header it rattled... wtf looked to make sure it wasn't the flange..... nope something rattled inside.:eek: I think fed had a similar experiance, but can't find his thread. Not sure if it's ok to run it with something tumbling around inside the header? Anyone Know what could be tumbling in the header??? It's a stock header :-/
By the way I found my leak easy fix, cleaned and sanded the reed cage face...tests good now I:I

i thinks its the baffle or whatever its called cant remember what its called.but it came loose.only way to get it out is to cut it open and weld it back together.but thats just a reason to buy an aftermarket pipe lol

Ok Great Then more than likely it will affect how it runs if I use it till I get a new pipe. Does it need the baffle in there?? thinking it does.dk Thx for the response

I was thinking if something is able to move in the expansion chamber of the pipe it could change how the gases reflect in it, but idk if that would be the case.

the gases arent what are reflected, its a sonic wave which depends on the cone angles in the pipe (which is why dents can be power robbing). The baffle may cause turbulence for the exiting exhaust gases, but shouldnt effect the sonic wave to any significant extent.

That's kinda my point, if something can move in the chamber it may or may not change the tuning of the pipe. But Idk enough about what may be in it but it has weight and probably is metal by the way it tinks in the pipe when it rolls or tumbles. If it is metal then it will have it's own reflection added to the sonic wave going through the pipe depending on which way it decides to turn. Then again it may block the wave too. Idk what to think right now. but it's probably not a good thing.